Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Just wondering how many of you guys buy used tires for your vehicles.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. Just depends on if I can find a deal on decent tires.

Got a set for my wifes car, 205/60/16's. Looks as though they have been used less than 10k miles. $100 for all 4.

But I wont pay 1/2 of new price for a set of tires that is 1/2 wore out. Just dont make sense. And it seems FAR too many people on c-list dont understand tire wear::mur:

Case in point, this is from a add I just saw
Tread depth averages from an actual tread depth gauge not eyeballed to waste your time. They average 7/32 New tread depth is 14/32. This means they have at least half their life left and they were 70,000 mile tires.

Say WHAT?

Tires need replaced at 4/32. So them 14/32 when new tires only has a usable lifespan of 10/32". Of which you used 7/32" of. Those tires are 30% tops. And the "best" 70% has already been used.:confused2:

Just dont understand why some people cannot understand such a simple concept. Another set of tires I called about a few months ago, I asked the guy "How many 32nds tread is remaining". He asked "whats that". I said "its how tires are measured". He said "I have worked at a tire shop for 10 years and never heard of that":laughing:

I wont buy a used truck tire with less than 9-10 32nds tread. Cause thats about the 50% mark. Any less and its not worth paying the $15/tire to swap them. If a new set of tires is gonna cost me $600-$700, and I can buy a used set with TRULY 50% left for ~$150-$200, then another $60 to mount/balance, I think that is a fair deal. But some people just dont have any clue.

Sorry bout the rant. Just saw that quote on c-list and had to laugh

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #2  
I used to but found it was more trouble then what it was worth. Seems the size and type of tires I wanted were always hard to find. And I still swear, that the tire guys have one depth gauge when they are saying you need new tires and another when they are selling you a used one!

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #3  
I have bought used tires, and still see it as an option. I normally try to keep good tires on wife's vehicle, and am more willing to put whatever is cheap on mine. The guy/guys I buy used from certainly don't measure tread depth. They got what they've got, $20 for car, $25 for a truck, $5 mount, $5 balance, and $5 if you don't take your old tire with you.

With truck tires running over $200 each, I'm willing to except some blow outs to save the money. I also don't replace tires just because you can see the wear band. I run them till I see wires or delaminating, or other bad stuff.

I'm also not hung up on size, last used tires for a truck where 235/70/16 on front and 225/75/16 on back. (2wd). My trailer has a 225/75/15 on on side and a 205/75/15 on the other.

I'm not a safety freak, and I'm willing to plug anything that will hold. Sidewall plug, sure as long as it keeps the air in. I know many chain shops now will only plug a tire under very limited circumstances, and I hate that.

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #4  
I will buy used snowtires, but not summer tires...
Last snowtires I gave $50 for four 185-65R15 with 3/4 tread, I have had them for 2 winters and probably have one more in them.

Aaron Z

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #5  
Use them on my trailer all the time. Never have for a passenger vehicle but that is not to say I never will.

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #6  
As a teenager in my Dad's service station and auto parts store, I used trade-ins that we didn't want to sell to anyone; usually referred to them as "may pops".:laughing: I got a lot of experience with changing tires, patching tires, etc., and I was doing that when the first new cars came out with tubeless tires and also when the first "plugs" were invented for tubeless tires. But I don't think I've bought a used tire in the last 50 years.

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #7  
I use to buy used all the time... had a friend at the tire shop and would keep an eye out if I gave him the word... he also had a cousin that worked for a wrecker...

Got some great deals on truck tires that were new... guys would pick up their brand new truck and drive straight to the tire shop to swap rims and tires... those were the days!

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #8  
I have never purchased used tires, but am thinking about selling the ones from my wife's camry with 50% tread left. They are horrible in the snow...time for something better.

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #9  
I rarely buy used. But right now I'm searching for a used pair of 14.9x28 R1 tractor tires. I'm this close to buying new.... :(

/ Vehicle tires: How many of you guys go Used #10  
I bought used tires for a double axle wood trailer I used for years only on the property. Otherwise, I've never seen tires that match what I need. Both my vehicles are 4WD so all four have to match up, pretty much. And I don't so much like the idea of winter snow & ice driving on tires with less than 50% of their tread.