Wider tires on front of 2WD

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #1  

stvbird

Tractor
'92 JD 2155 4X4 w/FEL, '62 Ford 2000
Hey all,

Many 4wd tractors have wider front tires than the typical 6" steer tires on a 2wd. Has anyone opted for a wider tire on the front of a 2wd to keep the front end from sinking as easy in soft mud etc.,? Or would the wider tires just cause more suction in the mud making it worse?

Thanks,
Steve

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #2  
Wider tires have a larger contact area with the ground then a narrow tire. The advantages of a wider tire is that they do not sink as easily, however because they have less pressure per square inch than a narrow tire they also have a tendency to float on the ground and not dig in enough to provide traction to turn the tractor in a tight turn. 78 MF50C BH fr.jpgMF50C Fr.jpg I have attached photos of two MF 50C tractors, the second photo the tractor has larger tires. I have a 2wd tractor with a loader and wish that I had a second set of wider tires because I frequently sink the front end when working in wet ground with a bucket of dirt.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking...for the flotation in mud. I've only had skinny tires though so thought I would ask before I tried. Thanks.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #4  
When I am mowing the fields or doing general work I prefer the skinny tires. However when working in the mud or on the lawn I would like to get a set of wider tires.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #5  
If you have a 2 wheel drive tractor/ and maybe a loader and no power steering the wider tires are going to make it a little harder to steer. Just something to consider. Later.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #6  
To a point then the wide tires become harder to push through mud and snow than the modest width tires. Wider tires will make steering more difficult.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #7  
Because of loader work we went from the narrow stock tri rib front tires (9.00-16) on my 2wd JD 3010 to a much larger four rib tire (11.00 L-15) and it was a major improvement in flotation on softer ground and not near the damage to the yard grass that the tri rib would do. The numbers along don't do justice to the actual size difference between the two; it's more one of those you-have-to-see-it-to-appreciate-it things.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #9  
Another thing to think about. Larger diameter tires also have a bigger footprint, and roll much easier in soft ground. Wider isn't the only way to increase footprint. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, just saying there is more than one option.

/ Wider tires on front of 2WD #10  
You also have to be mindful of clearance to your frame. Too wide could restrict your ability to turn.