Tire Selection Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4?

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #1  

Yamaha2112

Silver Member
Tractor
Various Diesel
Like a loader type tire with more bite?

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #2  
Some R4s are deeper and more aggressive than others.

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #3  
Firestone has field and road tires. Kinda in between R1 and R4 and different angles of tread.

Here's what the field & road tire looks like.

Attachments

• Field & road.jpg
    Field & road.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
   / Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #4  
Many differnt R4 designs. Some look more agressive than others.

Many different R1 designs too. 23* tread, 45* tread, overlapping tread with every other lug a short one.....

There are lots of choices. What specifically are you looking for?

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #5  
I've often wondered if anyone has grooved or siped their r4s to achieve this...

Anyone?

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #6  
Siping isnt gonna do much in areas that a R1 tire is designed to be in. Like dirt/mud. But will help on snow/ice

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #7  
GROOVING:* Grooving is deeper and wider cuts in the tread block. Grooving serves many purposes like helping to channel the dirt out the tire to help maintain a good contact patch. Grooving also creates more edges for better traction or grip.

Back when I was 4wheeling, I saw those in the mudding and rock crawling communities sometimes remove entire lugs.

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4?
Excellent. These are the key words (field and road/ hdap, 23* tread, 45* tread, barred turfs, etc.) that are helping me expand my search. Much appreciated everyone.

Last edited:
   / Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4? #9  
My neighbor has a B7510 Kubota with Barred Turfs. These were from Kubota, optional, and were a hybrid tire. He likes them a lot.

There are also HDAP which are a nice grippy tire but have no side wall strength to speak of. Grooving R4's might be a good enough solution. While there are a number of options, no single tire style will ever meet 100% of one's potential and varied uses. You just have to find the tire with least compromise for the largest percentage of your tasks and move on.

/ Is there such a thing as a tire in-between R1 and R4?
I'm looking to replace my R1's on my Kubota B2150. I bought new fronts to find the tires were noticeably smaller than the originals even though they were the same number. I'm pretty sure this would make my 4WD very unhappy. Bridgestone discontinued the tires so I'm having a heck of a time finding the correct rolling circumference to match proper 4WD ratio. It appears I could get R4 in the correct ratio with all 4 all the way around, but I really hate to lose any traction at all, but at the same time I want to try something different. Also, if the tractor gets any lower, I won't be able to use my deck anymore.

Last edited: