tire gauge

/ tire gauge #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
All of the various ones I've had, are now in the trash. Seems they work ok for few weeks, then crap out.

Is there any decent reliable gauges out there that aren't expensive? Are digitals any good?

/ tire gauge #2  
Catch 22- How do know they're no good if you don't have one you can trust to compare it to?

I use to have about a 7 or 8 cheap gauges in a tin. I get samples readings of say 29, 31, 32, 32, 33, 34, 36. Now, what's the real tire pressure? That is were statistics, faith, and/or your belief in democracy might get questioned (sorry I'll try not to get political) ;).

So I went and bought a digital one for about $30 that according to the package is accurate to (I think) .2% and threw out any of the old gauges that didn't measure within +/- 1 psi of the digital.

/ tire gauge
Catch 22- How do know they're no good if you don't have one you can trust to compare it to?

I use to have about a 7 or 8 cheap gauges in a tin. I get samples readings of say 29, 31, 32, 32, 33, 34, 36. Now, what's the real tire pressure? That is were statistics, faith, and/or your belief in democracy might get questioned (sorry I'll try not to get political) ;).

So I went and bought a digital one for about $30 that according to the package is accurate to (I think) .2% and threw out any of the old gauges that didn't measure within +/- 1 psi of the digital.

How do I know it's no good??? Take a reading and the gauge slams to it's highest reading....and the tire is low. The top blows off of it.... Take a reading, take another reading, take another reading, and they all read different pressures. SO, I know it's not correct. Over time, all of the pencil types I've had end up that way.

Is the $30 digital worth it? I'm wanting to know that...AND which one is a decent one. Being digital doesn't mean it's good.

/ tire gauge #4  
Our horse trailer tires require 110 PSI, some digital gauges don't go that high.

I bought an Accutire gauge at Sears many years ago, had a 5 year warranty, The center pin that opens the valve in the valve stem is plastic and wears out. Every three or four years when it quits opening the valve, I take it to Sears and exchange it for a new one.

Works good gets the same pressure reading as the one in my truck. Accutire Gauge | Standard Digital Tire Gauge and Programmable Digital Tire Gauge

attachment.php

Attachments

• accutire-ms-4021b-standard-digital-tire-gauge.jpg
    accutire-ms-4021b-standard-digital-tire-gauge.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 670
   / tire gauge
Xfaxman that looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks.

/ tire gauge #6  
I gave up on the spring type and just use a Craftsman digital. I do have an old one that works like a pressure gauge with a Bernoulli tube inside that reads the same as the digital but without my glasses or at night it is useless so I just stick with the Craftsman. I think it was about $30 also. I had one quit working, took it back and got a new one no problem.

I also had one of the Accurite ones but it also quit working after a few years and no way to replace the battery. As far as I know, it gave good readings as long as it worked. I like the Craftsman better because it has a bleeder valve on it so you can remove air easy if you overpressure. It measures in .5 psi increments which is close enough for me in all but my Goldwing front shock which only take 6 PSI max and requires a special inflation hand pump to air them up. You want to get them exactly the same so .5 PSI is a large variant when you want 4min to 6 max. and just putting on the digital gauge will loose 4 PSI (the air volume is so small)

/ tire gauge
Gary you have a model number on that Craftsman? They have different models.

I could of used at one time the 110lb limit Xfaxman has, but 75lb limit would be nice, since I do air my Duramax to that pressure if I've got heavy stuff in the bed.

/ tire gauge
   / tire gauge #10  
I haven't used anything but this style since I discovered them in the 60's.

round tire pressure gauge.jpg

No failures.

Bruce