Flat Proofing Airplane tires

/ Airplane tires #1  

LukeD

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 John Deere 3020
I did a search and it came back empty, so I'll ask...
Anyone running airplane tires on implement rims? I'm not that far away from Gensco tire, which advertises airplane tires mounted on a Ag rim for implement use. I'm thinking about putting some on an old cotton trailer to haul hay. Anyone use them? How long do they last? It's $108 per tire/rim for the size I need, and I need the rims regardless!

/ Airplane tires #2  
We run foam filled airplane tires on our pull type cutters like many around here and they work great.

/ Airplane tires #3  
I looked at some for a hay hauler and was told that if you pull them at highway speeds for more than a few miles they won't hold up. Something about they won't dissipate the heat that builds up.

I was told they are great for using in the field or for a short distance on the highway.

Instead of taking the chance of having them blow out I went with used LT tires.

/ Airplane tires #4  
My mower was delivered by being pulled behind a truck at highway speeds for over 75 miles.

/ Airplane tires #5  
Luke If they can guarantee you they will stay up, go for it. I sold several of them and could never get them to stay up. the bead on them is so thick, they actually cut away about half of the bead on the inside of the tire. It leaves a rough surface about 2 1/2 inches wide all around the inside of the tire. Even with buffing the inside of the tire smooth, we could not stop the tire from destroying tubes. If they were filled with foam they will work good but at the price you have listed I cannot think they are foam filled

/ Airplane tires
Thanks for the replies. For the foam filled, it's $237 per tire. I'll have to ask about any sort of guarantee. It's going to be used for hauling within about a 2 mile radius. And the trailer is the old type where the front wheels turn with the tongue, so there's no going above about 30 mph without it swaying! So needless to say, it's going to be going very slow regardless. I just hate to put some more car tires on it. They don't last.

/ Airplane tires #7  
When I was looking for them for the bale hauler it seemed like I was constantly having a flat & I thought if they work on a plane they should work on it.

The tires were from a place in Alabama that advertises in a local farm equipment paper. When I told them I would be pulling it about 50 miles round trip they said they didn't recommend using them on the highway.

He said that a plane is only moving at high speed for the length of the runway & then the rest of the time its at low speed so the tires have time to cool down.

I was ready to buy & he was looking to sell so I had no reason to doubt what he was saying & passed.

/ Airplane tires #8  
i have an aircraft fuselage that was towed 1200 miles on the highway at normal speeds so I don't know where you guys are coming from regarding this subject

/ Airplane tires #9  
I did a search and it came back empty, so I'll ask...
Anyone running airplane tires on implement rims? I'm not that far away from Gensco tire, which advertises airplane tires mounted on a Ag rim for implement use. I'm thinking about putting some on an old cotton trailer to haul hay. Anyone use them? How long do they last? It's $108 per tire/rim for the size I need, and I need the rims regardless!

No experience on airplane tires on implements, BUT - I did switch to them on my old Fordson Dexta tractor. I was patching 10 - 15 thorn holes per week on the front end of that old beast. Switched to airplane tires same as you described and never had another flat. Those tires were 14 ply (18 ply was available as well) and didn't matter if they had air pressure or not :) They were plenty strong and durable. After many years, I never wore either one so much as to be able to see wear. My cost back then was $85/each mounted on rims.

/ Airplane tires #10  
Growing up, we had an old airplane tire on a haywagon. Would sometimes get towed 7-8 miles with no problems. I think it was a many ply tire. It was worn beyond bald and never gave up. It wore through a few plies in a few spots and started looking like sheet of plywood made of out knotty pine.