Tire width in relation to implements

/ Tire width in relation to implements #1  

cowboydoc

Tractor
JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer
Here's the problem that I run into with the compact tractor. In order to have clearance for chains and for stability I have to have my tractor wheels set wider than six foot. The only setting that works to stay within 6 foot for the box blade, bush hog, loader, etc. is the narrowest width. With that width you have no sway in the three point arms or they hit the tire and no room to put chains on. Plus to change the width is a major ordeal as I have weights on my tractor as well. Massey has a great system where you just loosen the bolts and drive the tractor to the width you want and tighten. If I didn't have both tractors I wouldn't be able to do alot of the work that I do because of the narrow width of the tires to stay within the implements. I guess you could go to 7 ft. implements but that's a little big of an implement for the 4600. I have an old 8 foot bush hog and blade for the massey but that's too much for the john deere. Any thoughts?

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Tire width in relation to implements #2  
Are you running Ag or R4?

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Tire width in relation to implements
R4, I know that Ag are narrower width but I hate to change tires and rims.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Tire width in relation to implements #4  
Do you have to change the rims to go with Ag tread?

Another thought... What about having someone manufacture new lower arms with a "bow" in them for clearance. I"m not sure how a 3pt looks on a JD.

Just trying to throw out some ideas.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

Now that I'm not 100% sure. When I bought I asked about changing straight across for the ag tires and was told by the dealer that you would have to change rims too. I said ok how about change straight across since the r4's are more than the ags. He said ok for $500. Said forget it I'd try them. I will have to check into whether or not they were right about that.

Yes I suppose that it would be possible to fabricate new lower arms with a bow in them. I will have to talk to my uncle and see what he says. He is the McGyver of the family.

Thanks for the thoughts Rowski.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Tire width in relation to implements #6  
Richard, do you really want sway on your three point arms? I'm pretty new at all this, but I thought the check chains on the three point were to eliminate sway as much as possible. Probably won't entirely solve your problem, but may help?

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

Rob,
Might have stated that to be misleading. What I meant was that if I have the three point out for the bale forks or for the bush hog it the tires will hit the three point arms because they have to be that wide to accomodate the implement. They are certainly not free to swing side to side and I do have the pins in the arms to prevent that. Sorry if that was misleading.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Tire width in relation to implements #8  
would it help if you turned the impliment pins to the inside, that would give a few inches xtra

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

I'll have to send you a picture. Where my implements sit the pins don't even reach the tires, just the arms.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Tire width in relation to implements #10  
Richard - FYI - I have R-1's and had to rotate the wheels to position 5 to get clearance for chains. Think my O.A. width is 77 ". Not sure but think that I will probably pull them back to position 4 for the summer which should be about 73" which will be OK for a 6' brush hog.