Flat Front Tire

/ Flat Front Tire #1  

garbageman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7500
I got my first flat tire today. A nail while cleaning out the barn. Are their any good/bad ways to repair it. Any advice would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Ray

/ Flat Front Tire #2  
Ray, for many years, I insisted on patches on the inside of the tire; however, enough tire dealers using plugs, and the difference in the modern plugs vs. the original ones 45 years ago, finally convinced me. It's certainly not a bad idea to remove the tire, patch it from the inside, remount it, etc., but personally, I'd just get a good plug kit, plug the hole, and be done with it. I've used the plugs on my pickup, tractor, and riding mower and never had one fail.

/ Flat Front Tire #3  
You didn't mention if this was a tube or tubeless tire ( tractor or truck? )
If it is a tractor tire with a tube.. you'll have to remove the tube.. patch it, and then reinstall. Wouldn't hurt to stick a small patch on the inside of the tire casing where the nail came thru.. in case of rough edges.. etc. They can abraid or pinch the tube..

TSC sells decent patch kits. Depending on the price of the patch kit.. may be cheaper to get a new tube...

Soundguy

/ Flat Front Tire #4  
I haven't had a flat on the tractor yet........now that I said THAT ....... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
When the rider got a flat I used the locally available repair kits from the auto parts store. You get the reamer, the glue, the plug all in one kit. It has worked for years on that machine.

/ Flat Front Tire #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it is a tractor tire with a tube.. you'll have to remove the tube )</font>

Yep, I just plain overlooked that; wasn't thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Flat Front Tire #6  
Just a thought, but I had my front tires foam filled shortly after I got my tractor and got my first flat when cleaning up an area with a lot of broken glass.

I am glad I did and would do it again. Not real cheap, something like $140 for the pair, with the sales tax included. That was on my B2910. They charge by tire size, smaller being cheaper.

It is nice not having to worry about a flat, and the associated hassels. I am sure Bird is right about the plugs in a tubeless tire, but I still prefer a patch on the inside of a tractor tire...so that means I would lose a couple hours for each flat.

I'm a happy "foam-filled camper" in for ways than one! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Flat Front Tire #7  
Ray after you get your tire repaired you may want to throw some Slime or Multi Seal in your tires to prevent flats in the future. I call it "flat insurance".

/ Flat Front Tire
Thanks for the quick advice. I need to fix it today before tomorrows snow storm.

/ Flat Front Tire #9  
I need to fix it today before tomorrows snow storm.
)</font>

You HAD to bring that up didn't you ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just put my tooth bar on the Fel ,and side plates back on my rear blade in preparation for Spring . John

/ Flat Front Tire #10  
Well evidentially you guys are sending that nasty stuff this way because the weather man just said a possible 6 inches of snow by midday tomorrow. Right!, my TC-40D is still in the shop. Thanks allot guys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif