Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out?

/ Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out? #1  

charosenz

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD4520, also (sold) 2008 JD 3203 with 300cx loader
I have a JD 3203 and I want to swap rims side to side so I can gain quite a bit more width but the rim hub style prevents this.

Attached is a pic, showing the rim shape near the bolts which as you can see, prevents this from fitting the hub if swapped to the other side of the tractor.

I suspect I am not the only one who has wanted to do this and I am hoping there may be a reasonable solution to make this a possibility besides buying different style rims.

I suppose I could create some cloverleafed shims to space the wheels out past the part of the wheels that would interfere, but someone else may have a better mouse trap.

Has anyone figured out a reasonable solution?

Thanks.

Charlie

Attachments

• wheel pic.jpg
    wheel pic.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
   / Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out?
Excellent thank you BCP. I hope to find something in that group.

Some suggest I just swap sides with The rims. The shape of the rims near the bolt circle is not flat like most rims, so this is not possible, with out swapping the tires as well, in which case you would not gain the width that the rim center offset offers.

This only lever 3 options.

1) buy regular flat faced spacer/extensions of at least 6" or more.
2) see if some has irregular spacers that fit the molded part of the existing rim, in which case you would gain over 6" each side even with a slight width spacer, as you take advantage of the factory offset rim design.
3) Buy a set of offset rims with a flat face inner area.

/ Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out? #5  
4) grind the weld away that holds the center of the rim in place and re-weld with the offset you want.

I thought about that, and still might. ...but...

5) I leaning towards welding on a 6 -8 dics with the correct bolt pattern and center circle which would be the new inside plate that would get bolted on. May even use spacers between the plate and rim at the bolt hole to capture both. This would not compromise the strength of the wheel...

/ Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out? #7  
I have a 3720 and tried putting rime on opposite side to gain width. I gained maybe an inch but there were little nubs that wouldn't allow the wheel to be bolts tight and on a flat surface. I nixed that idea because it would just loosen over time and wear the nubs down.

I got spacers from Skid Steer Solutions, if I remember correctly. I got 2 cast spacers 2" thick for each side and they worked like a charm. Had them on for 5 years and never had to adjust them or retighten them. I think it cost around $300 or so.

Did those rims have irregular protrusions as much as the ones in my picture?

/ Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out? #9  
Did those rims have irregular protrusions as much as the ones in my picture?

Not quite as pronounced. There was a dimple about 1/4" high and 1/2" in diameter and those would hit on or ride on the flat hub. I didn't like that. I had it on for a little while that way and it wore the paint away to bare metal, and then some.

I would leave the wheels on the same side and get the spacers I mentioned, unless there are some cheaper.

/ Rim swap to gain width - Hub style preventing this. Anyone figured this out? #10