Tire Selection Turf Tires VS Truck Tires

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #1  

Jtullis13

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D & YM 155D
Hello all, I am going to purchasing a different tractor, possibly a Yanmar YM1700d, my question is for the folks who have a similar size tractor that has the large truck tires on their tractor in place of an actual turf tire. Like the turf tire kit that Hoye sells. I believe the tire size for the rear is 315/75r16 and it is a Maxxis tire. Yes you can probably get a different brand, but that is what usually comes on their kit. Who here has experience with these large truck tires on their tractor? Needing some input on snow traction on pavement and grassy areas. Aslo traction on turf too, do these tires tear up the lawn more so than actual turf tires? Please give any input that you may have. Thanks

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires
They would look like these tires from Hoye.

image-3723313207.jpg

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #3  
Probably not a lot of difference. The thing I would look at is what pressure they run. A lower pressure might have a little more traction and a little better flotation.

Thanks I've thought about the inflation thing too. Come to find out the tires I was initially looking at are not an option anymore, so that helps narrow my options down to just one. Lol

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #5  
Highway tires tend tend to have a sharper edge between the tread and sidewall, ruts in the lawn will be more distinct.
Thought I posted an answer here a while ago but it seems to have disappeared. A highway tire on a wet grassy hill will have all the traction of a waxed ski on a snow covered mountain slope.

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #6  
I have Maxxis trailer tires and they are very high quality, but I have to wonder if the thinner sidewall on a truck
or even a trailer tire will be a puncture
issue out in the fields. If the tractor never leaves the lawn I'd agree
maybe not much of a difference. Buick' point about a rounded shoulder is a good one;
I think you want rounded shoulders for turf protection, and not a lot of big tread gaps.
For more traction, I think the opposite would be true.

I think these front tires are less than 200 a piece for farm tires; I would think that size in a truck tire would
cost at least a hundred, so possibly one could save two hundred dollars on a pair, but is it worth it?

how badly your grass gets marked up is also a function of what kind of grass. Tender fescue might get ripped up faster than
tough centipede. I have centipede mostly with some bermuda and I can run tri-ribs on the front of my Gravely garden tractor and not leave any marks,
except in mud. My R4's on the Kubota will imprint pretty quickly with a load in the bucket.

One of the best turf tires made were the long lasting Bridgestone "Pillow" rear tires, big balloon-y tires that are very expensive to buy.
I'd say any street tire that had that kind of small blocky tread would do well. Not like you are going fast...

I've seen some of the older smaller tractors in this area use truck tires up front. If you have them, and grip is not a big deal, why not use them.
Just not sure I'd buy a new tire for up front that wasn't extra durable.

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #7  
As for the tires in the photo, I think they would be just as good as turf and much better if you do a lot of driving on hard ground or pavement. They should have a much longer wear than tractor tires.

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #8  
I would think the beads are different. Vehicle wheels have a lip that holds the tire bead in place once aired up. Were you planning on switching both the tires and the wheels? If not you may need to install tubes.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It really helped me think this through. As for now the tractor I was going to get is not going to happen for a while, so the tires will be in the back burner for a while.

/ Turf Tires VS Truck Tires #10  
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It really helped me think this through. As for now the tractor I was going to get is not going to happen for a while, so the tires will be in the back burner for a while.

I should think Hoye themselves could answer your questions best having direct experience with that tire setup. A phone call away no?