Ag Tires versus Industrial tires

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #11  
I think the OP made the argument to lean towards R4 tires by the type transmission selected.
A HST is typically not selected for pulling field work, a predominantly field work tractor has a gear drive transmission.
Pulling field work, or pulling woods work are two places R1 tires are the best.

I will probably never purchase another R1 tractor, because I will never pull a plow or field disc.
R4's or turfs for me,,, :thumbsup:

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #12  
My Kubota L2900 with loaded R1 ag tires was horrible for plowing snow on a 2500ft gravel drive. Any kind of ice it wasn't going to push a thing. A friend had a similar tractor with R4 tires and it was MUCH better in the snow (on hard surfaces not field work) On hard pack snow or ice turf are best, R4 second, Ag a distant 3rd. I studded my Ags on the Kubota finally and it was almost as good as chains after that.

I went with R4 on the new tractor and so far don't regret it. I've pulled a 2 bottom plow no problem in unbroken ground. I'm debating about loading the rears but for now it's got plenty of traction.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #13  
I have both types of tires on my tractors. The R4 tires are pretty much worthless in any type of mud. I use my tractor with R4 tires to clean out vegetation and mud from drainage ditches. Once the hard ground gets a film of mud on it, the R4 tires are pretty much worthless. I have had to use my tractor with R1 tires numerous times to pull my brother in law's R4 tired tractor out of muddy spots. I do this without spinning a tire. I don't see any problem with R1 tires on my tractor and using the FEL. It can haul a full rounded bucket of material and not even bulge the tires. You do have to carry near max air pressure in them for them to carry a 5000 lb. load and not squat. They do feel like you are running caterpillar tracks when carrying a heavy load over hard ground though. I can feel every lug when it hits the ground.

So Brandi, put some air in your front tires if they are flattening under load.

I do think that R4 tires have less wear than R1 tires especially if you do a lot of travelling on hard surfaces. They put a lot more rubber on the ground for less wear and better traction on hard surfaces. If you are going to use them in this way most of your time, then R4 tires would be my choice. Even plowing in hard dirt, the R4 tire will do ok, not so much in loose dirt though.

I suggest to the OP that he evaluate what he will be doing most and select the tire for the best option. Oh, and think about how you will get your tractor out of a slick muddy spot if it gets stuck with R4 tires. Do you have a second tractor or access to help from another tractor if you get stuck?

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #14  
carrying a heavy load over hard ground though. I can feel every lug when it hits the ground.

I do think that R4 tires have less wear than R1 tires especially if you do a lot of travelling on hard surfaces. They put a lot more rubber on the ground for less wear and better traction on hard surfaces. If you are going to use them in this way most of your time, then R4 tires would be my choice. Even plowing in hard dirt, the R4 tire will do ok, not so much in loose dirt though.
Gary for what I've seen the tire life is virtually identical given the same type of options of where they are being used. Road use is the largest life killer of the tires and second up is tillage.
The wide low angle cleats of the R-4 or industrial tires doesn't clean well at all and the higher angle design of the R-1 ag tires work better in mud because of the bar angle. Ag tires for use in mud often are at 37 degree for quick cleaning although the lower bar angles will give better traction on harder surfaces. Typically fronts will go 1,500 hours and the rears 2,000 hours as an average. The ag tires without being loaded we are getting 4,000 to 5000 hours on the rears vs loaded about 2,000 hours.
Different applications require different solutions and sometimes patience is most important!

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #15  
R1/ag tires are better in mud. The bars grip.

R1/ag tires are better if you clean animal pens. R1 tires throw off manure.

Every R1 tire I have seen is four ply.

R1 tires, vibrate hard and wear rapidly on hard surfaces.

R4/industrial tires are usually six ply, sometimes eight ply. Much more puncture resistant, especially tire sidewalls. Puncture resistance for the treaded bottoms is important if you operate close to burn piles; or around Mesquite or Locust trees with tire puncturing thorns. Heavier sidewall construction supports heavy loads carried in the FEL bucket.

R4 tires have a larger ground contact 'patch' therefore support heavy loads in a loader with more 'float'. This reduces load on your power steering. Slightly less likely to be swallowed in holes, making tractor with a loaded bucket less prone to roll.

If you fill rear tires with ballast, R4 tires have significantly greater interior volume. (I would not fill rear tires on a tractor carrying a Backhoe, which is ballast enough.)

With 4-WD, I plow and Disc Harrow regularly with R4, air-filled tires in Florida sandy-loam. No traction problem. Disc pictured has 20" diameter pans.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,350
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 454
Last edited:
   / Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #16  
I think everyone can agree if you want traction you can't beat R1 ags. I've had tractors with all 3 and Ags, Turf and industrials. The R4 industrial are the ones that I have now.

I personally don't care for the R4 tires. You really lose a lot of traction with them compared to R1. When my old tractor had R1s I could plow through the snow up past the axles and still not get stuck. If I did get hung up I could work my way out. The R4s I have now just don't have any bite. The R4s will spin out in easily for me in 8-9 inches of snow. You definitely don't have to worry about digging a hole with the tires because they will just spin on you.

I will admit though they do have a lot less of a footprint going across the lawn but if you are going to be doing a lot of pulling or skidding stuff Ags will insure you will get as much drawbar power as possible before breaking loose.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #17  
Every R1 tire I have seen is four ply.

I agree with your entire post, Jeff. I am surprised you didn't link to other threads on this topic though ;).

I just wanted to say that there are ag tires with more than 4 plies. I know you didn't say they don't exist, just that you have seen them, but for other readers, there are stronger ag tires available.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #18  
It can haul a full rounded bucket of material and not even bulge the tires. You do have to carry near max air pressure in them for them to carry a 5000 lb. load and not squat. They do feel like you are running caterpillar tracks when carrying a heavy load over hard ground though. I can feel every lug when it hits the ground.

So Brandi, put some air in your front tires if they are flattening under load.
Gary,:)
Which tractor and loader do you have that carries 5000 pounds?:confused3: What are you carrying when you say a full rounded bucket of material? What material?:confused:

My loader is spec. at 3900 pounds. My tractor came with a wider than normal bucket.:cool: Not sure what ply tires came on the tractor. They are stock. I guess I stated my sentence wrong. When I put a full, over the top, all I can scoop up, bucket of clay in my bucket.........my sidewall flexes so much the tires look low, not flat. I run over normal inflation and inflate to never exceed psi, stated on the tire...........36 psi.;) The flex is always more noticeable on the left side than the right side. Anyway, I got a dumptruck now, so I don't have to carry a full load far, anymore.:D
hugs, Brandi

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #19  
With 4-WD, I plow and Disc Harrow regularly with R4, air-filled tires in Florida sandy-loam. No traction problem. Disc pictured has 20" diameter pans.
Jeff,:)
That's not a disc, it's a dirt toy!:laughing:;)

This............................ is a disc.:D 4-2-13 RED Disc Sees Daylight.jpg4-6-13 Luke and Disc in Dirt.jpg
hugs, Brandi

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #20  
Oh-oh; when's someone gona post a picture of what may be a real disk.