Ag Tires versus Industrial tires

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
Today I just bought a Branson 47 hp 4720ch. I will be using it for weed spraying on farm ground (fairly hilly ground), mowing on farm ground, Road work, snow removal, occasional landscaping, and just general small hobby farm stuff.

I am given the choice of ag tires or industrial tires. I told them ag tires. I am having second thoughts and can still have them changed to one or the other before delivery. The Industrial tires aren't nearly aggressive, and probably ride better and probably give good enough traction except in extreme conditions. I wont be doing much really heavy plowing, tilling or field work.

Would Industrial tires be a better choice? (the dealer seems to think so)

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #2  
If you are getting a FEL I would advise to get r4 tires as the side wall is stronger.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #3  
There are tons of threads on TBN that have covered this one pretty well. Someone might show up shortly with a link to the list for you. :thumbsup:

For you, it sounds like either will work. I do think however that ag tires generally ride softer than industrials because of their stiffer sidewall and smaller diameter. I have one tractor with each type. The industrials are nice because they don't wreck the lawn. Also, they're more puncture resistant. I don't have a loader on that tractor (the NH), so I can't attest to how well the front tire stand up loader work. My other tractor, which has ag tires and a loader will lift 2000+ pound on a pallet. So far, they've held up fine, but I don't much loader work. The ag tires have much better traction in soft, wet, or snowy conditions.

It's a trade-off either way. Pick which one will work the best for you more often.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #4  
R4s would be better on a lawn. They won't rut it up as much.

It seems they are wider and less tall than ags and look better, which may be subjective to an individual.

I had the choice and took Industrial on my 45HP and don't regret it. But I don't farm and plow a lot.

I did do a lot of landscaping and digging into a giant pile of fill and never had a problem with traction or anything else.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #5  
R4 tyres get my vote... larger footprint but aggressive enough for most situations.

Extra advice below via the 'Similar Threads' area... but then, you knew that. :)

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #6  
Hey there "dry sider" - I've had two tractors and both with R1's. I want the extra traction for snow and mud. I can & have grunted 2750 lbs with my grapple and the front R1's stand up well. Do you really plan on using a 47 hp tractor to mow lawns or doing a lot of traveling across your yard/lawn?? Yes, R1's can do more tearing/scuffing than R4's.

Brother, its been a long summer and I'm ready for some Coug's football and cooler fall days.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #7  
I've always had ags but my tractor does mostly logging and snow work. They rut the lawn terribly for the occasional foray of spreading or carrying stuff across. Makes me wish I had two sets of tires. In your case I'd definitely get the R4's. I think that after the fronts wear (they actually crack before they wear) I'll make the splurge for front wheels wide enough to mount radial ags. Allegedly, radials aren't supposed to scruff up the lawn.
In hindsight, probably what I should have done was to get a set of 8 ply turf tires and put chains on them. Just doesn't look as much as a tractor should look with turfs on however. I think one should get the notion of simply wanting to "chew" on the tractor with the right tire look.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #8  
I much prefer R4s, but I do very little field work. I don't mow with my tractor, but it does travel across the yard often. R4s are better for all around work. I personally find the r4s to do better in firm mud. If it's slop I'm going to stay in the house.

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires #9  
R4s for loader work. R1s for pulling. A friend on here with a Blue Mahindra 7520 4WD with R4s, could not believe my Mahindra 6520 4WD pulls my Amco 9 foot offset disc. Even with 10 more hp and a turbo on the 7520 (and bigger tires) , I think it is the R1s that make the disc work behind the 6520.

Yeah, they tear up the yard, but it will grow back. I am sure I have been stuck bad enough that the R4s would have needed help from another tractor to get out. R4s are industrial tires and can handle more weight from the loader. My KMW 275 loader on my 6520 can make the R1s on front look flat when the 7 foot wide bucket is full!
hugs, Brandi

/ Ag Tires versus Industrial tires
Shows my green-horned-ness, Didn't even know they were called R1's and R4's. I am very familiar with Ag tires and have them on both my current tractors. Never used R4s. They do look better, and are stronger, from what I have read, but I just am not sure how much traction I am giving up and if it will ever be a problem, particularly in the snow. As some of you said, it is a matter of preference and both will work, Guess I will just have to make up my mind. Ag tires are the safest choice, so that is what i'll likely get. Funny thing is I will never know if I will regret that decision or not.

Brother, its been a long summer and I'm ready for some Coug's football and cooler fall days.

Coug football starts tomorrow! Should be a great season. And the cooler weather just arrived. Go Cougs!

Last edited: