Tire Selection Best size rear for 165 massey f

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #1  

Farm208

Tractor
Kubota 5140. Massey Ferg. 165
Currently have 14.9x28 on rear. Want to plow mostly and disc with this tractor. Would it perform better with taller tires or wider ones?

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #2  
14.9 x 28 is pretty commonly used on the 165 MF. Ken Sweet

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f
Thanks. I have seen some with diff sizes and was just curious about what size to get when I get some new ones.

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #4  
I have an old 165 we use around the yard , Has 15.5 /38's . Seem to look right on the tractor , fill the fenders and sits nice and level . 13.6/36 would probably be more correct for speed etc.

Attachments

• 093.JPG
    093.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 332
I was wanting to know if taller tires would be better for pulling a plow,would it have more torque or not? what governs the size for different situations. I believe
some tractors used in orchards have smaller sizes. Not sure but i guess smaller tires would allow one to travel without running into overhanging limbs but Im just guessing. Ive learned now about 4 sizes are available and would like to know what would be best to get esp for plowing.

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #6  
Taller tires will increase your ground speed in each gear based on the difference in circumference versus standard size. Your pulling power would be less but your travel speed would be faster. I can't really give you a good answer on size but I usually stick with the standard factory tire size when re-fitting. Most 165's I've seen running have 14.9x28's.

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #7  
If you want to plow then the plow furrow must be wide enough to for the wheel to run in, or the wheel narrow enough to fit in the furrow. Plows come in different furrow widths.

/ Best size rear for 165 massey f #8  
A taller tire, given that other specs are similar, would give a little better traction as you would have more tire engaged in the soil. But as mentioned, it will give higher speed and less effective torque. If you are marginal on power, it would be the wrong path. If you can drop a gear that would get you back into the power.

Thanks for all the responses. I believe I need to keep the 14.9x28 as that's gonna give me the most torque. My 165 has 3 speeds and not a 4 speed trans. With 6 I get from the 3(high and low) that looks like the best. Maybe with 4 speed trans the 16.9x28 might be the best.
One more question? Is the 14.9 or 16.9 the distance from the outside of the rim to the outside of the tire when its mounted?