When to Retire a Tire?

/ When to Retire a Tire? #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
I've been wondering about the wear and tear on my front tires for months now. How do you decide when enough is enough? They are Goodyears and are almost 6 years old with 600 hours on them.

This first pic is of the right front tire viewed from the seat.

OkieG

Attachments

• 419648-Tire1.jpg
    419648-Tire1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 597
   / When to Retire a Tire?
This next pic is a closer view that shows some weather cracks. How concerned should I be?

OkieG

Attachments

• 419652-Tire2.jpg
    419652-Tire2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 467
   / When to Retire a Tire?
This last shot shows bar wear. Some parts of some of the bars are just about worn away. It looks like the there's a bit too much camber to me, based on the wear pattern. I'll try to adjust that.

Overall, what do you think? Still some time left, or should I start shopping?

OkieG

Attachments

• 419656-Tire3.jpg
    419656-Tire3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 411
   / When to Retire a Tire? #4  
i ain't no tire expert, BUT u seems to have an unsual amt of wear on the out side lugs. u are most certainly going to lose traction, whith thos tires. mine are 6 years old also( about 350 hrs) and look nothing like that. if it was me? i would repalce them

/ When to Retire a Tire? #5  
meant to ask ( forgot) what are the rear tires like?

/ When to Retire a Tire?
Frank,
I don't have a picture of the rear tires handy. It getting dark out. But, they are in much better shape, with about 75%+ tread remaining.

OkieG

/ When to Retire a Tire? #7  
I would never replace tires based on appearance. If they still hold air and you aren't loosing significant traction, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had ag tires with cleats busted and big cuts and gouges in the tread, but inside they look fine. Here in the sunbelt, surface cracks are normal with the beating tires take from the sun.

I think your tires look fine. I sure expect a lot more than 6 years and 600 hours from my tractor tires. ...just my opinion.

/ When to Retire a Tire? #8  
So, what is the "expected" or "average" life of a tire? And, does it change with the type of tire i.e. Turf, Ind, Ag?

Mike

/ When to Retire a Tire? #9  
Like somebody else said, as long as it's holding air, keep it.

/ When to Retire a Tire? #10  
I agree Jim. The wear on these tires is as standard as I see on 4WD tractors with R1's. They wear out much, much faster then the rears. With the relatively small number of hours folks are putting on their compacts each year, I would venture to say they may never wear out the rears on their watch.