Ballast options for fluid in rear tires

/ options for fluid in rear tires #21  
Has anyone heard of using plain water?

When I change the antifreeze in a vehicle,, I save the old antifreeze.
In Virginia, I can mix the old stuff 4-1 with water, for use in tires.

It is free,, and gets me to change the antifreeze in a timely manner!! :laughing:

/ options for fluid in rear tires #22  
First - its never recommended to fill greater than around 75%. If the tire is 100% water filled - the water does not compress and does not allow the tire to deflect on objects, such as rocks. When the tire is 75% filled, or there-a-bouts, the air will compress and the water will allow the tire to deflect.

I've not heard of anybody using pure water. Its always good practice to add some type of anticorrosive product to the water - to inhibit rust. When there is air/water in the tire - there will eventually be rust.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #23  
Has anyone heard of using plain water? A Kubota dealer I got quote from says they do. It's rarely freezing where they are. On my mountain we sometimes get snow but it's rare and does not stay long. I asked about rust from plain water and was told it's not a problem because theres "no air" inside the tire. Somehow I don't think they're really filling it up 100%. Oviously no one would use plain water where it's below freezing for any significant time.

There's going to be air in the tire but when filled to 75% or so the liquid should cover the wheel. Still would want a couple gallons of antifreeze in there though.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #24  
Has anyone heard of using plain water? A Kubota dealer I got quote from says they do. It's rarely freezing where they are. On my mountain we sometimes get snow but it's rare and does not stay long. I asked about rust from plain water and was told it's not a problem because theres "no air" inside the tire. Somehow I don't think they're really filling it up 100%. Oviously no one would use plain water where it's below freezing for any significant time.
if its not below freezing or just at it and not often its not a big deal. You will get rust if you put it in there you cant fill 100%, but anything should always be put in a tube so its not going to be touching the rim anyway unless you get a puncture. You can also throw a few gallons of RV antifreeze (if you want it to be non toxic) in their for some corrosion (not against your rim anyway) but more importantly to lower the freezing temp just a tad below 32. But you also need to remember that it would have to freeze pretty good to do any damage to a tire other than walloping as you drive which would be the worst I guess.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #25  
My area rarely drops below freezing for more than a day, so I loaded mine with water and a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze. I was worried about rust, so I added a couple of cans of auto water pump lube. It won't hurt an engine or the rubber hoses so it shouldn't matter in a tire.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #26  
I've been browsing for some rv antifreeze and most say for use in plastic pipes only. Is that strictly for plumbing sake and to disregard that, it's suitable to fill tires with? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #27  
It is strictly for plumbing as the P trap is where it all ends up. You can use undiluted "below zero" windshield washer fluid to load the rear tires as it is less expensive than rim guard or RV anti freeze and safe to use in tubed tires and tubeless tires as the rims will not rust out.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #28  
Unfortunately I don't have tubes in my brand new rubber, so going to go with the rv antifreeze as rim guard or the other version, fusion, isn't readily accessible here and going with the non toxic route for pet and earth sake, should I get a puncture.