Ballast options for fluid in rear tires

/ options for fluid in rear tires #1  

Farm208

Tractor
Kubota 5140. Massey Ferg. 165
My kubota 5140 has methanol in the tires the dealer put in when I bought it. Recently I got a massey 165 with tubes and no fluid in the rear tires.
Methanol here is 14.95 gallon. i was told I needed 11 gal and another dealer told me 15 and fill with water up to the valve stem. Ive also heard some put antifreeze
in the tires and thats from 8-15 dollars a gallon. also i have seen people put winshield washer fluid in the tires for $1.00 /gallon ON YOU TUBE.
i just need to know whats the best to use that will work and not be so expensive. I do know that calcium chloride is not used much anymore due to the rust it could cause in tubeless tires.any help would be appreciated.
Also, I found some pink RV antifreeze today at walmart for 4.95/gal. would this be a good choice?

Last edited:
   / options for fluid in rear tires #2  
Windshield washer fluid is what I have in mine. 39 gallons in each rear. Its probably your cheapest option besides straight water. The recommended fill level is 75%. That's roughly where your valve stem would be at 10 or 2 O'clock position. RV antifreeze is fine to use also.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #3  
I think the best option is Rimguard, but it's also pretty spendy. Heavy and non-toxic, though.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #4  
One other option is RV antifreeze, you can buy it in the spring real cheap!

/ options for fluid in rear tires #5  
A couple months ago, I had these 16.9X30 tires installed, and filled with methanol,,,
for $325.
That was done, on-site at my home, so the price included bringing out the truck and manpower

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg

About half the cost was the methanol,,, cheap considering how fast he got the job done.
Check around some more,, maybe they were giving you the "go away, don't bother us!!" price.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #6  
The original concept was for the addition of weight. With current fluid used by most companies Rim Guard you are getting the maximum weight per gallon that you can. It might give you that added weight that you might need someday, it is always cheaper to do it right the first time.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #7  
Probably got 14.9x28's which is ~53 gallons per tire, 106 gallons total.

Rimguard is the best. But it is the most expensive too.

Rimguard would get you 1114# for the pair of tires. And I believe cost is in the $3.50/gallon range. So about $371....or $0.33/lb

Windshield washer fluid, methanol, RV antifreeze, etc. bout 8# per gallon. So only 848# for the pair. Cost is ~$1.50 per gallon, or $159. which is ~ $0.19/lb

/ options for fluid in rear tires #8  
If you want max weight and do not mind paying someone, get rim guard, if you want easy DYI, use WWF. They both work, I used methanol in all my tractors and never had a problem.

/ options for fluid in rear tires #9  
For those saying Rimguard, the OP is from Cleveland, TN. The closest Rimguard dealer (according to RG) is north of the TN/KY border about 152 miles one way.

OP, I live just north of the TN/AL border and have four gallons of RV antifreeze in my rear tires, which also take about 55 gallons to fill to the valve. That should also work for you.

Article about filling tires: Comparing Types of Liquid Tire Ballast | OrangeTractorTalks

/ options for fluid in rear tires
Ftg05. Will 4 gal of antifreeze then 55 gal of water keep it from freezing in each tire? I know we live not far apart but even this weekend its gonna be in the 20's here. Sometimes it gets in the teens. Just wanna be sure i understand your post.