V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #11  
On my tractor I have the Talons on the rear, which I am really impressed with,
I got the Fores Trac style for the front, they are much more aggressive if I was doing logging and in lots of deep snow and mud they might be a better choice.
But, most of my use is in fields and driveways, in the fields "winter feed lots" the cattle traffic makes for mud and slop where the Fores Trac would be good,
but as soon as I get to frozen or hard ground the Aquline work better. With the talons I can get high centered on packed snow when that happens nothing works good,
All in all I prefer the Talons.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #12  
On my tractor I have the Talons on the rear, which I am really impressed with,
I got the Fores Trac style for the front, they are much more aggressive if I was doing logging and in lots of deep snow and mud they might be a better choice.
But, most of my use is in fields and driveways, in the fields "winter feed lots" the cattle traffic makes for mud and slop where the Fores Trac would be good,
but as soon as I get to frozen or hard ground the Aquline work better. With the talons I can get high centered on packed snow when that happens nothing works good,
All in all I prefer the Talons.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #13  
Wow, Matt -by the time you get both sets of chains - its going to be a heavy $$$ investment. Many years ago(probably 20, at least) I bought V-bar chains for my Ford 1700. After using them for a few winters - I was convinced I needed to get rid of the chains and simply invest in a larger tractor. My dislike centered around - Lord, they were heavy, a real PITA to instal and get properly tight, the little Ford rode like a cob. On the plus side - you NEVER had to worry about slipping in snow or ice anymore, you could climb large pine trees if the need arose - they would tend to smooth out lumps/bumps when the driveway was still soft.

I can definitely see the need if you get more snow than I do here or you get drifting or you are simply tired of being pushed around as you plow snow.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires
Thanks Lou,
Sounds like they would work fine for me. I found out that I can pick up the Talons at the nearby warehouse but would have to pay shipping on the Fores Trac, so I've decided on the Talons between these two.

I did send Tellefsdal an email regarding a local dealer and pricing but unless they are cheaper than the Talons and I can get them locally I'm sure I'll just go with a set of Talons for the front, and rear, and not pay shipping. Apparently the two sets together weigh somewhere around 340lbs so as you can imagine the shipping is quite expensive!

I'm gonna be real happy to never use those darned ladder chains again!

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #15  
I found a couple of pics of my chains,
Oliver with ladders
IH 574 with Talons
Branson front and rears
Branson with blade
Oliver chains 2.JPG IH 574 chains.jpg Branson chains.jpg Branson an blade.jpg

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #17  
duplicate post #2
trying to delete (duplicate) #2 got me #3 :confused3:

Wow, Matt -by the time you get both sets of chains - its going to be a heavy $$$ investment. Many years ago(probably 20, at least) I bought V-bar chains for my Ford 1700. After using them for a few winters - I was convinced I needed to get rid of the chains and simply invest in a larger tractor. My dislike centered around - Lord, they were heavy, a real PITA to instal and get properly tight, the little Ford rode like a cob. On the plus side - you NEVER had to worry about slipping in snow or ice anymore, you could climb large pine trees if the need arose - they would tend to smooth out lumps/bumps when the driveway was still soft.

I can definitely see the need if you get more snow than I do here or you get drifting or you are simply tired of being pushed around as you plow snow.

Yes it's certainly not a cheap set of chains that's for sure! Although, it's a whole lot cheaper than getting a bigger tractor :D That was my original plan but with a third baby due in the next couple months and home upgrades in the works, it seems like that plan keeps getting pushed further and further back!

I felt like I would have benefited from front chains last year, and in the years past. I was planning on just getting front chains for my tractor and keeping the ladder chains on the rear, but I really dislike the traction from the ladders (although they are still a HUGE improvement over no chains) and since I am unable to go in the woods with them to pull logs out during the winter time, I decided to upgrade those to more aggressive chains as well. At this point, I find myself not able to use the tractor on hills in the snow due to traction, so if having all 4 tires wrapped in studded chains allows me to do that, then it's worth every penny.

I am pretty certain that even with a larger tractor I would need chains.

Just as an update, I ended up going with OFA chains made in Finland after finding out the Talons were made in China.
I'm sure either would have lasted me as long as I need but i like that these aren't made in China like the Talons (if that's even true??) but they were also about $100 cheaper.

I picked them up at Windy Ridge in NH. Didn't realize they were as heavy as they are!

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #20  
Which style, I see they have several?
Tapio, Eko, Hakki, and EasyOn in the tractor lineup, they look good
I don't know if they sent you instructions on installing, but I have started using a 1/4 inch rope,
laying the chains out behind the tractor studs up tieing the rope to the center ends and making a v about 4-5 long,
hooking the V over my tire lugs, driving forward stopping frequently to spread the side chains out properly,
continuing around till the chains are overlapping at the rear and start to connect every thing up.
Also my had instructions to NOT use tensioners and let the chains walk around the tires some, enough
room to get you fist under the chains after driving around a bit. I thought that my talons came from Finland. I don't know.
Good luck hope you don't need them for a month or 2 anyways.