V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I am going to order studded chains for all 4 of my tires. I know my front size is 10-16.5 and my rear is 17.5L-24. These are R4 tires.

I find some chains in 17.5-24, and some in 17.5L-24. Is there a difference in the "L" designation?

I'm going to go with either the Aqualine Talon chains for all 4 tires, or go with the Fores Trac Studded tires for the rear and the Aqualine Talon chains for the fronts. The Talon's have 3/8" studs and the Fores Trac's have 1/2" studs, I don't know if there is all "that" much of a difference???

These are the two different types.... Fores Trac shows the "L" designation and the Talon's don't.

Fores Trac 17.5L-24 1/2 ForesTrac Tractor Studded Tire Chain – Tire Chains by TireChainsRequired.com

Aqualine Talon 17.5-24 AquilineTalon Tractor – Tire Chains by TireChainsRequired.com

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #2  
I am going to order studded chains for all 4 of my tires. I know my front size is 10-16.5 and my rear is 17.5L-24. These are R4 tires.

I find some chains in 17.5-24, and some in 17.5L-24. Is there a difference in the "L" designation?

I'm going to go with either the Aqualine Talon chains for all 4 tires, or go with the Fores Trac Studded tires for the rear and the Aqualine Talon chains for the fronts. The Talon's have 3/8" studs and the Fores Trac's have 1/2" studs, I don't know if there is all "that" much of a difference???

These are the two different types.... Fores Trac shows the "L" designation and the Talon's don't.

Fores Trac 17.5L-24 1/2 ForesTrac Tractor Studded Tire Chain Tire Chains by TireChainsRequired.com

Aqualine Talon 17.5-24 AquilineTalon Tractor Tire Chains by TireChainsRequired.com

CALL TCR

They are the ones you will fall back on if the fit needs adjustment.

It's not so hard... just pick up the phone and punch in the number. have a pleasant conversation with the helpful sales expert, give them your charge card number and rest assured that if the chains don't fit, TCR will pay shipping both ways and get you the chains you need.

JUST BE SURE to read the tire size on your tractor correctly!

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires
CALL TCR

They are the ones you will fall back on if the fit needs adjustment.

It's not so hard... just pick up the phone and punch in the number. have a pleasant conversation with the helpful sales expert...

Don't be so quick to assume... :D It's actually not that easy, I'm currently crossing the Prime Meridian south of the equator on a ship bound for the states. So ya, sometimes it's not as easy as you may think :thumbsup:

But, then again, I'll be back in cell coverage in another 6,140 miles.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #4  
I'm sure e-mail works.

You posted, so obviously you get service. duhh!

Heck!

You have days and days before you will need those chains in the snow ;-)

I'm sure e-mail works.

You posted, so obviously you get service. duhh!

Heck!

You have days and days before you will need those chains in the snow ;-)

Yes I certainly have email, I did email them but haven't heard back. Thanks for your contributions and helpful insight thus far. :thumbsup:
Last year I waited to order the Aqualine Talons until later on in the season when I was getting ready for winter, and they (as well as Ken Jones Tire in MA who also carries these chains) were all sold out. I thought it would be prudent to order a little earlier this year. ;)

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #6  
I went with a brand called Tellefsdal. The US wholesaler is out of Manchester NH. They are very similar to the Talons but the cross links are welded together where the Talons use a link to connect them. I think with a couple phone calls you should be able to find a dealer close to you. When I bought mine the salesman threw the 200lb wooden crate in his car for free and delivered them to the dealer (a Kubota dealer in Orleans VT that got bought out so I don't know if they are there anymore). But the free shipping sold me. Are you sure you need chains on the front? I have them just on my rear tires and never needed anything more.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #7  
I have got both of the styles that you are looking at, I am and have been impressed with the Aqualine Talon's they do an excellent job.
I have one set that is similar to the Fores Trac's they are extremely aggressive, but most of the time they are to rough on the driveways and pavement.
The Talon style have been the best all around chains that I have had on a tractor, all of mine have been on R1 tires not R4's but for snow plowing and working on plowed surfaces
they do an amazing job and when you get on ice they have as much or more traction then rubber on gravel.

I went with a brand called Tellefsdal. The US wholesaler is out of Manchester NH. They are very similar to the Talons but the cross links are welded together where the Talons use a link to connect them. I think with a couple phone calls you should be able to find a dealer close to you. When I bought mine the salesman threw the 200lb wooden crate in his car for free and delivered them to the dealer (a Kubota dealer in Orleans VT that got bought out so I don't know if they are there anymore). But the free shipping sold me. Are you sure you need chains on the front? I have them just on my rear tires and never needed anything more.

Thanks Al,
I'm able to pick the chains up at their warehouse about 20 mins from where my sons preschool is so I don't have to pay shipping. Regarding the Tellefsdal chains, how do the prices compare to the chains I posted? I looked online but didn't find pricing, and I know a lot of the high quality and super durable chains for tractors can approach 2 thousand or more for all 4 tires.

I currently use ladder chains only on my rears and they don't provide me with the traction I want when I'm driving through the snow off road. I imagine more aggressive chains on the rears alone would be a huge help in itself, but I'm going to go with front chains as well, mostly for lateral traction. Currently for my driveway, i use a heavy 8' rear blade for snow removal, and there have been many times where my from end will slide side to side.
Unfortunately until recently, the "brilliant" engineers at Kubota thought it would be a good idea to put the steering brakes on the right (wrong) side
Of the tractor, so they are very inconvenient to use, which is hire a shame considering how useful they can be, hence the main reason for front chains.

I have got both of the styles that you are looking at, I am and have been impressed with the Aqualine Talon's they do an excellent job.
I have one set that is similar to the Fores Trac's they are extremely aggressive, but most of the time they are to rough on the driveways and pavement.
The Talon style have been the best all around chains that I have had on a tractor, all of mine have been on R1 tires not R4's but for snow plowing and working on plowed surfaces
they do an amazing job and when you get on ice they have as much or more traction then rubber on gravel.

Thanks Lou,
I'm leaning towards just sticking with the Talons all around, I'm just waiting to here back from the company I'm purchasing them from.

If traction was considerably greater with the Fores Trac though, I'd be more inclined to go with those. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that extra 1/8" of stud length actually makes in the real world.
The Talons are more expensive, which leads me to believe possibly more durable or built with stronger steel, but of course that isn't necessarily true.

Have you found a big difference between the two styles aside from a rougher ride with the more aggressive chains? Do you still use them or do you find the Talons to be sufficient for everything you do?

I still haven't gotten an answer from them regarding the "L" designation in tire size, but I did tell them my tire size so
I'm "assuming" they'd mention a figment issue if it made any difference.

/ V-Bar Studded Tire chain size for all 4 tires #10  
I paid just over $700 for a set for my 14.9-24 tires back in 2010. I think the Talons were almost the same price. After 7 seasons now they are starting to show slight wear on the spikes. Otherwise they are like new. But I've switched to using them to break up the ice by putting the tractor in 2wd and spinning a rear wheel to dig through the ice on some of the hills. If I remember correctly the Talons would of cost me an extra $200 for truck shipping. I also like the way the Tellefsdal chains are made over the Talons. I'll try to find pictures.
Old style Talon chains
184958d1288563219-tire-chains-dscf1416-jpg

New style Talon chains (they now use a cast iron piece to hold the chains together where as the older ones and Tellefsdal chains just use it to connect the two ends of the chain together)
AQ_Talon_Tractor_AST_4ea5b0e1-2462-423b-907b-5e991e16b273_1024x1024.png

Tellesfdal chains
Multi%20Grip.jpg