Tire Selection Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front?

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
This is a 70's Ford tractor, a 335. So it started out as a yellow industrial tractor. When I bought it, it had been painted blue and now has AG tires on the rear, essentially a Ford 3600. Looks like it still has industrial style tires on the front, has a very flat style tread. Well those tires are so rotted it's finally time to buy new ones, they've finally stopped holding air.

When I look on tractor data, a Ford 3600 originally came with a 6.00-16, 335 would have had a 6.5-16. The tires currently on it are a 7.5-16. I definitely like the height the front end sits at with these tires. Because it has a loader the guy at the tire place thinks I should stick with the 7.5. My only concern is that with the current tires I only have about 1/8th of an inch of clearance between the tires and the upper steering knuckle. The tire guy also recommended going with a 4 rib tire. Should I stick with his recommendations or would you suggest anything different?

wAllIGF.jpg

Za5Pg5F.jpg

RgBbX1U.jpg

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front?
I like the idea on measuring the width. I'll measure mine at their widest point and see how the tires at the shop compare.

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #3  
That tractor is much bigger than my 1710 loader tractor, but I have 6:00 x 16 front tires, 6 ply. With a full bucket, those tires have a very obvious bulge. Can only imagine being multiplied on a bigger machine....I would get the most plies you can find, even if they have to be ordered...

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #4  
A 235/85-16 truck tire is very close to the 7.50-16,
if you are worried about the width a 225/75-16 would be narrower
these are available in the E range (10 ply) if you are not getting out
in lots of plowed or muddy ground used pickup tires are reasonably priced
and will last for years while handling the loader use better then a 6 ply
ag front tire.

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #5  
A 235/85-16 truck tire is very close to the 7.50-16,
if you are worried about the width a 225/75-16 would be narrower
these are available in the E range (10 ply) if you are not getting out
in lots of plowed or muddy ground used pickup tires are reasonably priced
and will last for years while handling the loader use better then a 6 ply
ag front tire.
This is the way to go. 225/75-16. Used BF Goodrich T/A 's would give you a triple sidewall.

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #6  
   / Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front?
Or take the wheels off and flip them around so what is currently the inside becomes the outside.

Aaron Z

Talked to the guy at the tire shop and this is what he recommended, just flip them around if there wasn't enough clearance.

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #8  
The guy who hays my fields has aircraft tires on fronts of his 2WD tractors. Says they don't get punctured easily, and he can find in size to fit the rim. He gets them used, and they still have lots of useful life left.

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #9  
The guy who hays my fields has aircraft tires on fronts of his 2WD tractors. Says they don't get punctured easily, and he can find in size to fit the rim. He gets them used, and they still have lots of useful life left.
We have aircraft tires on the front of one of the tractors at work. Since they put them on they haven't had any punctures and they work very well from what I understand. We got the whole rim and tire delivered together as a set from an outfit in the Midwest (I think).

Aaron Z

/ Should I stick with 7.50-16 tires on the front? #10  
If they aren't rubbing, which it doesn't appear that they are, not sure I understand the problem.

Can't read the sidewall data, but those tires look like trailer tires??? In an E rating they will carry much, much more weight than tractor tires.

I don't see that you need to change the tread pattern. But you certainly need to buy tires that will carry the weight of the FEL.

I'd go with E or G rated trailer tires. My GN trailer uses 7.50x16 tires. I run Hankook F19s. 14 ply, steel radials. They would last the rest of the tractor's life if it's shaded when parked. I pay $210 each for those.

Edit: I'm not a fan of reversing the rim. Moves the weight load outward and adds stress to the wheel bearings and steering spindles.....