Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next?

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #1  

brownbr

It obivous that solid rubber tires are not commonly in use on ag tractors today, but should we expect that they eventually will be? Check out this picture and imagine this on your tractor.

solid_rubber_tires.jpg

McLaren expands flat-proof Nu-Air lineup to rear backhoe tires | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment

It seems that as the solid tire market matures, the engineering in these tires is improving their compression and shock absorbing abilities. It also seems that they are starting to offer tread patterns that more closely meet the loose soil traction needs of traditional ag bar tires for field work.

I'm facing chronic flat tires on my front steer wheels of a 2wheel drive JD 5410. I have mesquite, cactus, and nails on my farm. I often use a root graple FEL attachment to handle and build burn piles. In the demo and cleanup of old structures and during the clearing of brush I encounter many flats. I've relied on the use of lots of green slime, but do to significant punctures, I am having to air up one of my front tires essentially every time I use the tractor.

It's clear that my front tires need replaced, but it has me considering potentially replacing both front tires with solid rubber skid steer tires. Why keep doing this?

Has anyone done this?
Has anyone investigated the options, compatibility, and prices?

I've just started looking at various products that are available, considering what may be required, and what might be the most cost effective path.

Considering I see tons of skid steers with tires of roughy this same size it seems doable. Perhaps swapping out the 6 bolt hubs to an 8 bolt hubs would open up more potential matches from the skid steer market.

I can only imagine how great it would be to be able to drive the front end of the tractor into puncture dangers to grapple up a load. Or maybe even darting into the edge of the burn pile to flip some run-away logs back into the center of the fire. And if front tires worked out well, maybe when the rear tires are do for replacement I might be able to get solid rubber on all 4. At that point I could drive anywhere without hesitation.

Anyone have thoughts to share?

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #2  
I had them on a skidsteer and absolutely hated them. They rode like you had solid rubber tires on. The hits and impacts to the machine was hard on me and the machine. Add in they are very expensive to buy and are very hard to retread I don't know why you want them. Instead, I'd suggest getting your tires foam filled. Pick the heaviest sidewall tire you can fine so the tires can be retreaded on the rim. I have foam filled tires on my current skidsteer and the ride is much, much better. I had foam filled tires on a loader and one of the tires had a massive cut across the entire tread which extended 3" up the sidewall. I ran this tire for 5 years like that and it never came apart. For these reasons I think you should consider foam fill.

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #3  
These are available for very light mowers, and experiments with similar "traction units" has been done for cars; when someone gets around to doing so for heavier equipment, I'm in! I've already scraped off a valve stem while in the woods.
Michelin-Airless-Tires3.jpg

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #4  
These are available for very light mowers, and experiments with similar "traction units" has been done for cars; when someone gets around to doing so for heavier equipment, I'm in! I've already scraped off a valve stem while in the woods.
View attachment 524796
I saw one of those on a JD zero turn doing commercial work just last week. First time to see them but they sure put a lot of surface on the ground compared to an air up tire.

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #5  
Not quite the same as those in the pictures, but solid rubber tires on a forklift I use are bone jarring.
Never have a flat tire though, so there’s that....

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #6  
I don't know why you'd want them on an ag tractor. I'd think they'd be a lot more likely on compact tractors. Puncture proof is pretty much their only advantage.

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #7  
   / Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #8  
I don't know why you'd want them on an ag tractor. I'd think they'd be a lot more likely on compact tractors. Puncture proof is pretty much their only advantage.

"Puncture proof" is a pretty good advantage, but they will also last longer, as there will be little "belt squirm", and the rubber is likely better. (I'm referencing the "tweel" and similar types). Remember that some ag tractors had zero rubber and zero shock absorbtion, with treads welded on a metal drum.

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #9  
The local JD dealer had a big zero turn JD with tweels. Not the same pattern as CincyFlier posted. BUT, the cost of one tweel is out of sightG!!!! As I remember the individual price is somewhere between $850 to $920 per tire. A quick check show the following - - Michelin X Tweel SSL All Terrain 12.N - 16.5 discounted price for set of four $3690.

/ Are modern solid rubber tires going to make thier way to the tractor World next? #10  
This tires look slick but way beyond my budget. We were experiencing constant front flats on my little kubota with ag tires, it they weren't going flat from sharp shall n barnacles I was rolling get them off the rim with too heavy of a load on a sidehill in soft sand:((

The fix for me was foam filling, a bit heavier and expensive( cheap compared to those new michelins tho) but worth every penny! End of from tire problems:)))