Tire Selection Forestry tires

/ Forestry tires #1  

tungularafishcamp

Veteran Member
Tractor
kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48
Have a bunch of hillside logging with our l48 this winter, and was thinking about putting same size or maybe one step larger forestry tires instead of the r4's which would have to be chained up. I wasn't to tear things up as little as possible.

Anyone know of a good source for forestry tires?

/ Forestry tires #2  
It doesn't freeze where you are?

Here it's "ice in a road" for winter logging.

Tires don't amount to more than something to hang chains from.

/ Forestry tires
I have been sneaking down to the coast range of Oregon for a couple months last bunch of winters. We just have winter rains:/ truthfully miss the cold n snow but family obligations.

/ Forestry tires #4  
Agree with what CalG says. Even the most aggressive tire style has chains hanging on it when used in commercial forestry applications.

/ Forestry tires #5  
What exactly do you want to achieve with the tire swap? Stability? Traction? I think if you go bigger, if you still run out of traction, you're gonna have a tough time fitting chains. Personally, my priority list for logging with a tractor would start with a skidding winch, like a Farmi. If you've already got one, then I'd go for chains. Changing tires is gonna be expensive, and I don't think you're gonna get much improvement for your money versus a winch or chains.

/ Forestry tires
I already have a good winch, and I was hoping to find a "deal" on forestry tires.

Th r4's just don't have the traction that we need a lot of the time. Push myself out with the backhoe a lot and I cant have the winch on with the backhoe.
Ag tires wouldn't have the sidewall strength for the loader work we do so I thought the forestry ones might be a good compromise.

Chains would be the best traction no doubt about it, also cheapest fix, but they would really chew up our pastures and our wooden bridge that I would need to access several times daily.

/ Forestry tires #7  
Rick - what makes you think that slippin' & sliding around your pastures with tires packed full of mud is going to do less damage than chains. And unless you are hot rodding across wooden bridges the chains will not do that much damage. I think you have already got the best advice you are going to get. Buy some chains.

/ Forestry tires #8  
Rick,
How long is your bridge? get 2-3 2x12's to lay down on each side, then get an aggressive logging type chain with the heavy studded ring or the studded european type.
When you cross your bridge lay down the 2x12s. or secure them down and leave them in place during mud season.

/ Forestry tires
Bridge is 50' and the wood decking is about done. One of the reasons for the logging this winter is s new deck on it, chains would do it in. The longitudinals are pretty punk too, could replace those to buy some time.

I was hoping the forestry tires wouldn't be loading up and spinning like the r4s, anyone with any experience on this kinds of tires?

Except for staging and loading the logs onto trucks none of the work would be in the pasture, any weather gurus know if this will be a wet or a soaking wet winter in the Oregon coast?

/ Forestry tires #10  
Are you talking about ag tires? Like R1s? Those tires spin in mud too. I'm down here in the south. Unless we have an extreme winter our ground never freezes. No one ever uses chains either. I am a forester in charge of loggers. I promise you even on 4wd logging skidders they spin those tires when it's wet and muddy. There so much space in those tread though they never load up with mud, even like ag tires do. The tread style is the same though.