Tire Selection Truck tires that actually wear

/ Truck tires that actually wear #11  
Tyres are an either or choice. Long life at expense of traction or good traction at expense of short life.

Might also reverse the lives when talking about the driver!!

I've got Goodyear Wrangler E tire's on my truck. They are run at 80 psi. I'm happy with the traction but tire life could be better.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #12  
What kind of tread are you looking for? Strictly road tires? Semi off-road? etc...

I've been using General Grabber AT2 on my Suburban and have been very happy with them. Got about 30K on them now with lots of life left in them.

They are all terrain tires and a bit noisy on the road, but not bad at all. I'll buy them again if I ever need to.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

/ Truck tires that actually wear
For me tread wise a street tread is fine. More rubber means more wear? I dunno if heat build up affects wear either. Real hot weather increases my pressure. For that reason I run 65 front and 75 rear so the tire warning light doesn't present itself. Nitrogen is supposed to keep a more consistent tire temp. Good for this application?

/ Truck tires that actually wear #14  
Might also reverse the lives when talking about the driver!!

I've got Goodyear Wrangler E tire's on my truck. They are run at 80 psi. I'm happy with the traction but tire life could be better.

If you're running them at 80psi on an mostly empty truck, it's no wonder your tire life isn't so good... You're asking a very small portion of the tread that is in contact with the road to do all the tractive work... And that takes the tread off in a hurry.

My enemy is tire pressure monitoring... An empty 3/4 ton truck doesn't need 80psi in the rear tires, and ride, traction, and tire life all suffer for it. Run the fronts at whatever the door sticker says. Run the rears the same, or slightly lower for an empty truck, or add pressure according to the amount of weight you carry. Running 80psi all around with modern tires is pretty ill advised, and doing you no good at all...

OP, what kind of truck? How is it loaded? What pressures do you run, what kind of roads, etc. With normal use, you should be seeing about the mileage they predict out of any tire. Check to be sure tire pressures and alignment are good, and rotate every 5-10k, depending on wear.
??

/ Truck tires that actually wear #15  
If you're running them at 80psi on an mostly empty truck, it's no wonder your tire life isn't so good... You're asking a very small portion of the tread that is in contact with the road to do all the tractive work... And that takes the tread off in a hurry.

My enemy is tire pressure monitoring... An empty 3/4 ton truck doesn't need 80psi in the rear tires, and ride, traction, and tire life all suffer for it. Run the fronts at whatever the door sticker says. Run the rears the same, or slightly lower for an empty truck, or add pressure according to the amount of weight you carry. Running 80psi all around with modern tires is pretty ill advised, and doing you no good at all...

OP, what kind of truck? How is it loaded? What pressures do you run, what kind of roads, etc. With normal use, you should be seeing about the mileage they predict out of any tire. Check to be sure tire pressures and alignment are good, and rotate every 5-10k, depending on wear.
??

Didn't say the truck was empty. Usually about 2500 plus in the box and around 8000 pound trailer behind that.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #17  
Didn't say the truck was empty. Usually about 2500 plus in the box and around 8000 pound trailer behind that.
S

Sorry, Egon, I didn't realize you were the OP.

So you're running a truck around at or near max gvw all the time, and also normally towing an 8000lb trailer... With that info, I'd guess you're not going to find a tire that makes the miles they promise... You are the 99th percentile, and mileage numbers don't apply to you. About all you can do is keep hitting them for a pro-rated deal on your next set of tires...

As pointed out above, tires are a tradeoff... You can get great wear and crappy traction, or great traction and crappy wear. Modern rubber compounds are pretty amazing, but you're well beyond "average" use...

I will say that buying name brand tires will usually help. I'm run Cooper tires almost exclusively. They put a lot of money into rubber compounds, and the light truck tires are made in Findlay Ohio. I run STMaxx's on my truck and Jeep, and AT3's on the wife's old Liberty and the replacement (older) Rodeo. The STMaxx's have no mileage warranty, and they wear quite a bit faster. That AT/3's have a 50-60k warranty depending on the load rating, and they appear to be wearing slowly, so they'll probably make it.

Michelin all season tires are known for wearing like iron, but the winter and even wet traction suffers because of it. My old LT/X's were absolutely scary in the snow or rain... Perhaps they've improved a bit based on the above post... You could try the latest BFG AT's. They're reported to have excellent snow performance down to about 60% tread, and reasonable life beyond that...

Good luck!!

/ Truck tires that actually wear #18  
I've got an F250 @ 8200# on the scale as I have it configured for normal daily use. I run Nitto Terra Grabber tires and get between 30k and 40k on them. The rears wear much faster than the fronts. I also run 65 psi all around. I'd prefer to run street tread for the better tire mileage and gas mileage, but occasionally need to pull a heavy trailer thru a field. 1st time I tried this on a flat field with wet grass was an eye opener, so only all terrains after that. The tires I run do reduce the highway mileage by about 1mpg or so, but I'll take the traction over wearability and fuel economy any day.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #19  
Sorry, Egon, I didn't realize you were the OP.

No problems.

I'm not the OP though.

/ Truck tires that actually wear
I'm guessing that my rotations and inflation is correct by the fact that tire wear is pretty even. Truth is, I have no idea on mileage claims on these tires. In my memory, the FS tire had no prorated tread wear warranty. Do any? I should ask around. I like to support local tire shops and not have things dropped in my lap that require service off the UPS truck. It makes sense to me that a heavy vehicle that spends most of its time on winding rural roads is tougher on tires. In researching briefly the Nitto Terra Grappler, there were a few folks that had heavier rigs with some mileage on them. Thanks for the tip.