Tire Selection Truck tires that actually wear

/ Truck tires that actually wear #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
You know those 60,000 mile tires? Never even begin to see that on my service vehicle. 245/75R16 I think they are an E load rating. The long and the short of it, I'd get 30,000 miles if I ran them into the wear bars. The truck weighs close to 9,000 on the scale. I've tried Firestones, Michelins, and the originals I think were Generals. The OEM tires strangely had the best traction. No need for snow tires where I'm at though. Anyone actually have something that might work out better brand wise or maybe even to tweak the sizes? I never seem to find a real sale on tires, good info if you have it. TIA

/ Truck tires that actually wear #2  
I have the Toyo Open Country A/T (think they are listed as 50 or 60K tires) but at 22k they are well over ½ gone, closer to ⅔'s. They are not very impressive on the wet roads here, they always want to break loose. Running them on a Diesel Ram 2500 Crew Cab so roughly 7500 with all the junk it last time I was on the scales.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #3  
I have had several sets of tires last 60,000, but I rotate every 5,000 and keep them inflated to 40 PSI

/ Truck tires that actually wear #4  
I have used mainly OEM tires on my trucks. Wranglers and Bridge Stone on my current Sierra 2500 Duaramax. They have lasted forever, mind you I drive gently. But all those tires are dangerous (along with the ABS) in my opinion, because the compound is so hard and not sticky. I'm thinking you can't have both.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #5  
Probably right there Industrial Toys. I can live with poor wear if I could get good traction. I rotate them every 3-5000 miles, watch my pressures and still get fairly short life. Thinking this spring I am going to be shopping for a new set of tires and will be asking everyones thoughts then.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #6  
I was getting my more wintery Ggoodyear Kevlar Wranglers put on and the rims cleaned and sealed up last week. I always thought Radials were supposed to simply stay on one side and moved from front to back and the other way around. I am told not, by the tire shop. Back to front and switch the rears on "Bidirectional" tires. I never knew there was a difference.

/ Truck tires that actually wear
I appreciate the comments so far on what you like or don't like. Toyos not happy in the rain. Thanks for that 54. Industrial Toys, if you have a specific series, that could be helpful as well. Thanks folks! I thought that I would also point out to be cautious about buying tire shop "pull offs" to save a buck . It happened to me once and I found out that the tires were recalled. They were Michellin LTX tires.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #8  
Tyres are an either or choice. Long life at expense of traction or good traction at expense of short life.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #9  
This is my second set of Toyo Open Country A/T tires on my Jeep. First set I got 32K. I got the exact same tires for my second set and because I didn't get the guaranteed 60K - Les Schwab gave me an adjustment. The tires, mounting & balancing with the adjustment cost $620.

These tires work well in the winter - which is about the only test of traction around here.

/ Truck tires that actually wear #10  
I was getting my more wintery Ggoodyear Kevlar Wranglers put on and the rims cleaned and sealed up last week. I always thought Radials were supposed to simply stay on one side and moved from front to back and the other way around. I am told not, by the tire shop. Back to front and switch the rears on "Bidirectional" tires. I never knew there was a difference.

I used to do the front to back and back to front, but since my truck wears the left rear faster than the rest, my left side tires would wear out about 10,000 miles faster than the right side, I started crossing the rear to the opposite front with my latest set of tires. the only tires that are one directional are the tires that are marked for single direction only Some mud grips fall into that category.