Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 FEL, Ford 3400TLB, Ford 8N

Default Re: methylene alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Oldoak View Post
    No. No liquid, no moisture to go along with the oxygen to cause corrosion. It is not the oxygen or water alone that causes the corrosion.
    Correct!
    More complete explanation than mine.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by FMFProperties View Post
    But tractor tires without any liquid are more exposed to oxygen so you're saying they're more likely to corrode? I'm missing something here.
    In the presence of the liquid mixtures it is better to have the steel submerged than being liquid part of the time and oxygen exposed part of the time. This is why a piece of iron at the bottom of a lake last longer than a piece of iron that is exposed to moisture but in the air. The lower the oxygen content the better.
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN . Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

Tractor
    Kubota L3240, Kubota B7100, Kubota F2560, John Deer, F525 Mule 600

What would happen if you filled the tires half way and nitrogen filled the tires?

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by 4570Man View Post
    What would happen if you filled the tires half way and nitrogen filled the tires?
    That sounds like a good idea.
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN . Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    584 IH 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 4570Man View Post
    The oxygen that can cause rusting is available in the water (H2O)

my rims are submerged,, a tire company did it.
    He said they submerge all rims.

My tires have methanol and water,, the old rims and tires had calcium chloride,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fried1765 View Post
    You can buy a liquid tire fill fitting at TSC for about $10.
    You will still need the cheap small pump.
    The fitting incorporates a little push to release air valve, that makes the filling process very simple.
    You can actually get quite a bit of fluid into a tire without any pump at all. Position a container with a bulkhead hose fitting at the bottom (I used half of an old swimming pool filter) at some height above the tire. Lower the tractor jack until the tire is "squished" at the bottom. Connect the hose ends and fill the tank with fluid. When you raise the jack and the tire expands the fluid will be drawn into the tire; repeat.

It is not necessary to prevent total solid freezing, only use enough concentration to allow slush to form under your local winter conditions.

Tractor
    Branson 4520C & Massey 1533

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    ...My tires have methanol and water,, the old rims and tires had calcium chloride,,,
    Where did you buy the methanol? I think the local glass supplier might have some but not sure yet (they're closed on weekends). Do you know if pure methanol is corrosive?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040 Nuffield 465

Quote Originally Posted by FMFProperties View Post
    Where did you buy the methanol? I think the local glass supplier might have some but not sure yet (they're closed on weekends). Do you know if pure methanol is corrosive?
    With summer approaching, start looking for sales of Windshield washer fluid. It will be pre mixed and have a temp rating like -34 F etc so no guess work.

Some gas stations have bulk Windshield washer fluid tanks so you can refill your old container. Likely a better price than buying by the jug at TSC or similar.

Dave M7040

Tractor
    Branson 4520C & Massey 1533

Maybe in Canada but in Texas the only thing on the shelves right now is "0 degrees" and "+32 degrees" liquids. I'm just going to fill the tires up tomorrow with plain water since there's no chance of freezing temps for a while now and when November comes along I'll look for the "-20 degrees" or the "-32 degrees" windshield washer fluids.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234