methylene alcohol

/ methylene alcohol #1  

cowbridge

Tractor
Kioti CK2610HST Woods BB60XC
I'm signing the papers on my new Kioti ck2610 today. My dealer is going to fill the rears for me. He says they use methylene alcohol and water. Does anybody have any info or suggestions about that? Everything I have read recommends tire guard- beet juice.

Thanks

/ methylene alcohol #2  
Actually, I've heard that its called "methanol"....same thing...I have a few tires loaded with it...if you look up the freeze temp of methanol, its somewhere around -160 degrees...I just loaded a 12.4x28 tire with 10 gallons of meth. and 10 gallons of water...to test it, I put about 2 ounces of meth. in a plastic water bottle in the freezer for about 2 hours...no change...I added 2 ounces of water to it...left it in the freezer for 3 hours...still no change...I trust it that its GTG....BobG in VA

/ methylene alcohol #3  
Methanol is the anti-freeze ingredient in windshield washer fluid. I used to live near a manufacturer of such fluid, which was convenient, as I was running an "alky" burning supercharged drag bike at the time. That stuff should work fine, you can get the proper ratio to mix for your location to prevent freezing.

/ methylene alcohol #4  
I'm signing the papers on my new Kioti ck2610 today. My dealer is going to fill the rears for me. He says they use methylene alcohol and water. Does anybody have any info or suggestions about that? Everything I have read recommends tire guard- beet juice.

Thanks

Methanol with water, is MUCH cheaper (for the dealer) than RimGuard.
Tell your dealer you want RimGuard, and ONLY RimGuard.
RimGuard is MUCH better, and has no safety issue (methanol by itself is highly flammable).
RimGuard is 30% heavier than a methanol water mix !

/ methylene alcohol #5  
Methylene with water, is MUCH cheaper than RimGuard (beet juice).
Tell your dealer you want RimGuard, and ONLY RimGuard.
RimGuard is MUCH better, has no safety issue (methylene is highly flammable), and is MUCH heavier!

Gonna guess that a pound of RimGuard weighs exactly the same as a pound of methanol/water mix. The density of beet juice is substantially higher, however: just over eight pounds per gallon for the meth/water, and nearly eleven pounds per gallon for the beet juice. Methanol is cheaper, RimGuard gets you more weight, you decide which is better for you. I've toyed with dumping bags of lead shot into tires, but removing that would require demounting the tires from the rims.

/ methylene alcohol #6  
Gonna guess that a pound of RimGuard weighs exactly the same as a pound of methanol/water mix. The density of beet juice is substantially higher, however: just over eight pounds per gallon for the meth/water, and nearly eleven pounds per gallon for the beet juice. Methanol is cheaper, RimGuard gets you more weight, you decide which is better for you. I've toyed with dumping bags of lead shot into tires, but removing that would require demounting the tires from the rims.

If the selling dealer is going to provide the ballast material as a condition of the sale, why would a buyer care about which fluid is cheaper?
The cost difference is a DEALER issue!
I do not have RimGuard (I have WWF), but if I were buying a new tractor, I would definitely specify RimGuard.

/ methylene alcohol #7  

Thanks

A methanol and water mix are what my tires are filled with. I haven't had any problems is several years. The Rim Guard (beet "juice", byproduct) is heavier per gallon, also more expensive. Methanol is toxic to ingest, Beet juice stinks. If spilled Methanol breaks down rather quickly. Beet juice makes a mess, but is not toxic. Of course it is a mix of water and methanol, so it is about as dangerous as a bottle of windshield washer fluid, which if it is the proper seasonal mix, can be used straight in the tire as it is the same thing.

/ methylene alcohol #8  
In my area tires are filled with Windshield washer fluid.
Not as heavy as R0imguard but cheaper and many do it themselves

Dave M7040

/ methylene alcohol #9  
My first tractor was loaded with salt solution. Worked fine for about twenty years and then for reason totally UKN - it began dissolving valve cores - what a TOTAL DAM mess. The last couple years I was replacing cores about every 6 to 8 months.

So when I got the new Kubota I had it loaded with Rimguard. No problems, except the first time I checked tire pressure and forgot to blow what was in the valve & stem back into the tire. I can vouch that Rimguard is sticky, sweet and doesn't smell all that good.

/ methylene alcohol
Thanks guys.

My local southern states will fill my tires up with Rim Guard for $210. He says they'll take about 30 gallons each and add around 620 lbs at 75% full.
I'm waiting to get a price on the methanol mix.