9.5 x 18 R3 substitute

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #1  

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
My nice handy Mitsubishi MT180D came with nice turf tires, well they used to be nice.
Being well weather checked I had a new set installed at considerable expense as I wanted peace of mind.
Think it is called 'proactive' as I dreaded a flat at minus 30 deg.
Turned out that I was sold the last pair in Canada and they lasted 6 months and looked as bad as the replaced pair.

Now to current date.
One went practically flat and leaked ballast so back to original problem.

I determine that I have 2 options.
FOAM fill or install 18" truck tires with the problem that I need to respect front/rear ratios.

Foam fill poses its own dilemma as I need to remove and haul them a distance and it's cold winter and my filled tires are more than I can load into the car.

If I can determine a suitable car/truck tire substitute I could trash the present tires and then haul them off for replacement.
That I could manhandle.

OK, tire shop can come and effect a repair in my yard but that is $250.00 that could go to a permanant solution.
The main dilemma is how to determine proper rolling distance of car/truck tire as nowhere can I find that data.

What I have learned is that Goodrich was sold to Firestone and is now Michelin but they still don't make my tire size.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Remember I am in Canada so shipping gets VERY costly, in fact can exceed actual purchase price as tires need to be trucked and added fees to clear customs simply kills you.

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #2  
I think Piloon that if you can match an overall assembled tire diameter or height, that would certainly put you in the proper roll-out ball park. Your problem is the seemingly limited availability of this particular tire size. It may be cheaper in the long run to attempt to find or have made a 16" wheel that has the same bolt pattern. Your tire selection expands greatly as a result.

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #3  
Maybe you can pull the specs on your tires, and use a tractor tire web site to find tire that fits your rims and your outside diameter needs. It seems to me a tire dealership would have such a cross reference. Then entering your tire specs into search engine probably would pull what is out there.

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute
Maybe you can pull the specs on your tires, and use a tractor tire web site to find tire that fits your rims and your outside diameter needs. It seems to me a tire dealership would have such a cross reference. Then entering your tire specs into search engine probably would pull what is out there.

I agree but there seems to be lack of interest to help.
Possibly because we are crossing over from agriculture to trucking.
I am still waiting for the callback from the Goodrich, that became Firestone and is now Michelin sales rep.

Rim changeover is not a consideration while tires should be.
I have specs for my 9.5 X 18's but dont have for 18" vehicle tires.
It is the 'rolling distance' and not the outer diameter that is critical and other that taking a tape mesure to all the automotive 18" as no where have I seen such data.

Some tire shops will offer 9.5 X 18's but they usually end up being 'rice tires'.

\Also I have to buy in Canada as shipping and customs will be more than actual tire cost. (due to weight/size UPS and FedEx are out leaving trucking as only option which in turn needs brokerage and all the associated fees)

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #5  
s rep.

It is the 'rolling distance' and not the outer diameter that is critical and other that taking a tape mesure to all the automotive 18" as no where have I seen such data.
)

I disagree. You need to know your present tire circumference and for that you need to know the diameter (or radius doubled) to configure roll-out to match any other tire you find. Diameter x Pi will give you the circumference of the tire. With considerations and making allowances (factory recommendations allow for .2-.3%) for weight stress or tire pressures, you then multiply your circumference figure by .97 or .98 . This gives you the approximate "rolling circumference" figure or roll-out for one revolution.
Finding a tire height or diameter will help you begin to match your own tire.
On-line tire stores for performance type tires usually give tire heights for differentiated rim sizes. It would be helpful for you to know your present rim width as well.

To begin to get a feel for tire size and once you know your own diameter, here is a formula with a math example to begin to narrow the search.

Section Width * Profile / 1270 + Wheel Diameter = Diameter in inches

Therefore, for a 285/75/18 tire,

285 * 75 / 1270 + 18 = 34.83"

Once you have the diameter, you can configure rolling circumference.

Last edited:
   / 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute
Well 3 weeks now and the " Goodrich was sold to Firestone and is now Michelin "rep who said he call back next day still has not even with additional emails.
Must have gone south LOL.
Miracles of miracles the one tire that lost most air and juice once inflated has withstood 4 snow work events without deflating*, well perhaps a tad.
LOL, not gauged but still nice and round.
I am proposing the foaming route (not worried about the comfort ride) and still awaiting quotations on foaming here in Canada.
Most dealer sites never seem to monitor their emails so why do they have one?

On the upside I met by chance a very nice chap that sells top class only used tire take offs that seems my best bet.
He operates from a public storage facility with advertising on web sites.
I mandated him to supply winters for my Kia and he will match me a set of 18" winters for my Mitsubishi.
He has delivered as promised to some friends so I believe this is my best bet.
OR: I'll foam mine thus retaining proper ratios.

* could it just be that that beet juice is sticky enough to plug small leaks? it is after all sugar based.

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #7  
Foam filled may affect your traction... not sure. Had a forklift we went to foam filled on and all of a sudden it would get stuck at the drop of a hat. Foam doesn't allow it to lay on the ground with as big of footprint.
David from jax

/ 9.5 x 18 R3 substitute #8  
Actually there are 2 circumference numbers: The one spec'd on the tire when new aired to rated pressure and not installed on anything and the "rolling" circumference which is different as the tire gets squashed and can change dimensions as a function of air pressure, load, and surface upon which it is rolling.

Personally, I use the tire factory spec as when on hard surfaces I don't run in 4wd and on soft surfaces, one or the other can slip slightly.

I put turfs on my 2400, replacing the industrials that came on it. Had no problem finding that the circumference was 33" on both the 12 x 16.5 industrial and the 33x12.5x16.5 turf. Good luck