Tire Selection Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims?

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #1  

JeremyF1015

Tractor
Yanmar 1602D
I have a Yanmar 1602D. The current rear tires are 8.3x20. I can only find deep rice tires for that size. Someone told me I can go slightly larger on the width and it should not be a problem. I found a few tires I liked in the 9.5x20 sizing. Spacing wise, there is pleanty of room. I am just curious about it on the rim. Would that work?

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #2  
I have a Yanmar 1602D. The current rear tires are 8.3x20. I can only find deep rice tires for that size. Someone told me I can go slightly larger on the width and it should not be a problem. I found a few tires I liked in the 9.5x20 sizing. Spacing wise, there is pleanty of room. I am just curious about it on the rim. Would that work?
As long are they fit and the diameter is the same, they should be fine

Aaron Z

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #3  
Yup, width does not matter as long as the rim can accommodate the tire [ or versa visa ]. The outer circumference, or inches per revolution, is what matters. You can put extra strain on your drivetrain unless you also take in consideration of your front tire diameter, too. Unless your Yanmar is a 2 wheel drive, then the only thing you have to worry about is fender clearance..... :)

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #4  
Yup, width does not matter as long as the rim can accommodate the tire [ or versa visa ]. The outer circumference, or inches per revolution, is what matters. You can put extra strain on your drivetrain unless you also take in consideration of your front tire diameter, too. Unless your Yanmar is a 2 wheel drive, then the only thing you have to worry about is fender clearance..... :)

The Op wants to go from 8.3" x 20" to 9.5" x 20".
How could that put "extra strain" on the drivetrain?
Isn't an 8.3" x 20" tire the same diameter the same as a 9.5" x 20" tire?

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #5  
Don't know, a lot of truck and car tires get taller with width, I do not know if that is true for R1 tires..... but you have to check first..... The rear tires can't be trying to go significantly fast than the fronts... you would not be able to steer. Just be shoving them. The 20" is usually the rim size, unless you are talking lawn tractors, maybe.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #6  
It may be more difficult to air/seal them up. If it doesn't go well, use tubes.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #7  
The Op wants to go from 8.3" x 20" to 9.5" x 20".
How could that put "extra strain" on the drivetrain?
Isn't an 8.3" x 20" tire the same diameter the same as a 9.5" x 20" tire?
It is not. The 9.5 will be taller and problematic if the Tractor is 4WD. But it will fit the rim and work well on a 2 WD tractor.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #8  
Most tires are wider than the specified rim width. As you go out in tire width, the fatter tires tend to sway back and forth since the sidewalls aren't vertical, kinda like the first time you drove with radials, back when they finally became popular here in the US.

I'm running some really wide Golf Cart tires, like 22x11-10 on 7" rims at 10 psig, 900# mower, and they work fine on my ZT rears. Don't notice any swaying, but if I push on the mower from the side with my foot I can get it to rock back and forth. Course these are soft sidewall tires. If doing it with stiff shouldered tractor tires like turfs or R4s, probably wouldn't have any.

Attachments

• P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    664.8 KB · Views: 259
   / Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #9  
It is not. The 9.5 will be taller and problematic if the Tractor is 4WD. But it will fit the rim and work well on a 2 WD tractor.

Heck, two different brands of tires of the "same" size won't be the same size.

/ Can I put slightly wider tires on the stock rims? #10  
Heck, two different brands of tires of the "same" size won't be the same size.

True. But a matched pair of oversized tires on one axle will be problematic on a 4WD Tractor. That is my point and it is a valid one.