Tear in Tred

/ Tear in Tred #1  

OzarkMike

Tractor
Kubota L2501
I noticed a tear in the front tire of my Kubota L2501. Most likely I ran over a stob in the woods clearing brush. Being AG tires, if it were in the lug section, I wouldn't be concerned. But it's between the lugs where there isn't as much rubber. The tires are 8 ply Goodyear brand, garage kept, and only 100 hrs. Is there anyway to repair it, or am I being concerned over nothing? Picture attached.

Attachments

• tear in tred.jpg
    tear in tred.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 274
   / Tear in Tred #2  
Just curious. Is the wear on your R1 tires typical for 100 hours when clearing brush?

Steve

/ Tear in Tred #3  
I noticed a tear in the front tire of my Kubota L2501. Most likely I ran over a stob in the woods clearing brush. Being AG tires, if it were in the lug section, I wouldn't be concerned. But it's between the lugs where there isn't as much rubber. The tires are 8 ply Goodyear brand, garage kept, and only 100 hrs. Is there anyway to repair it, or am I being concerned over nothing? Picture attached.

I would seal that torn flap down with some rubber glue (put heavy something on it to apply pressure overnight), and just keep on driving.

/ Tear in Tred #4  
Mike- Welcome to TBN

I would not worry about it. When your tires look really bad put inner tubes in them. R1 front tires do not like FEL loading.

/ Tear in Tred
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going to try the rubber cement first, and then switch to tubes when the inevitable happens. Luckily, it's the front tire and not the rear, which is loaded. I'm thinking my next tire change will be to R4's. I don't have muddy conditions on my property, but the ground is soft in the spring and the R1's tear up my pasture when I make turns, Plus I have read that they are more puncture proof, and I often run across "surprises" like old liquor bottles and old rusted out metal parts. I never run out of traction, just horsepower on the L2501. Speaking of sharp stobs, I remember reading in some hunting magazine that a hunter once stumbled in a cut corn field, fell chest first into a stob, and it pierced his heart. I don't know how many times I've tripped and fell running to pick up doves, but reading that gave me pause. I cringe when I have to drive my truck through a cut corn field as well.

/ Tear in Tred #6  
Get some Aqua Seal and smear it in there, then tape or weight down the flap until it dries. That stuff is tougher than rubber, and adheres to all rubber compounds. It's sold as boot repair, and is available at Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabelas, etc. I have a pair of Lacrosse rubber boots that I repaired 30 years ago, and the Aqua Seal is still holding strong and pliable. I use it for all sorts of repairs.

/ Tear in Tred #7  
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going to try the rubber cement first, and then switch to tubes when the inevitable happens. Luckily, it's the front tire and not the rear, which is loaded. I'm thinking my next tire change will be to R4's. I don't have muddy conditions on my property, but the ground is soft in the spring and the R1's tear up my pasture when I make turns, Plus I have read that they are more puncture proof, and I often run across "surprises" like old liquor bottles and old rusted out metal parts. I never run out of traction, just horsepower on the L2501. Speaking of sharp stobs, I remember reading in some hunting magazine that a hunter once stumbled in a cut corn field, fell chest first into a stob, and it pierced his heart. I don't know how many times I've tripped and fell running to pick up doves, but reading that gave me pause. I cringe when I have to drive my truck through a cut corn field as well.

Don't spend much time fretting about it.
Just glue that tear down, and forget about it.
I have a front tire (TLB) damaged like that, and it happened 32+ years ago.

/ Tear in Tred #8  
Had a similar tear in our JD 6200 front Goodyear Ag Tire.

The Tire shop did not want to repair it. I insisted. That was about fifteen years ago. I think they put a patch on the inside. It never actually did leak air before being repaired ,if I recall. MAYBE that could make a difference.

/ Tear in Tred #9  
I have had a similar tear in the rear tire of my John Deere. It was there when I bought it, figured I would replace it when it no longer held air. 20 plus years later, it still looks about the same, still holds air.