How Does a Tractor "Ride"?

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #41  
My loaded R4s aired up to 15 psi ride not bad at road speeds.
Then I added chains to the mix, NO more road speeds. The ride would rattle your teeth out. No more high range at all. And NO I will not remove the chains.

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #42  
Looking

Are those tires bias ply? They become slightly out of round when they sit. They must be driven on a hard surface, warmed up, then they reacquire the round shape. What is the recommended psi? Many R4 tires are rated for higher pressure than your owner's manual suggests. My front tires 12x16.5 are rated for 35 psi + ? But kubota recommends only 20 psi.

Tractor tires simply do Not offer much suspension, nor are they designed to do so.

EDIT: looking appears fully aware of what he wishes to accomplish .

Last edited:
   / How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #43  
Looking

Are those tires bias ply? They become slightly out of round when they sit. They must be driven on a hard surface, warmed up, then they reacquire the round shape. What is the recommended psi? Many R4 tires are rated for higher pressure than your owner's manual suggests. My front tires 12x16.5 are rated for 35 psi + ? But kubota recommends only 20 psi.

Tractor tires simply do Not offer much suspension, nor are they designed to do so.

I run the 15 psi in the rears, not for ride, but for traction. The fronts have 35 in them for weight carrying. (FEL)
If I want smooth ride then I will buy a Cadylac.

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #44  
I run the 15 psi in the rears, not for ride, but for traction. The fronts have 35 in them for weight carrying. (FEL)
If I want smooth ride then I will buy a Cadylac.
That and a good suspension seat on a tractor sums it all up despite all the ramblings. ;)
Although I have no interest in a Cadillac.

And I have no idea what the "opioid crisis" has to do with how a tractor rides....................but then again :confused2:

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #45  
And I have no idea what the "opioid crisis" has to do with how a tractor rides....................but then again :confused2:
Well I guess it could.
Take enough opioids to avoid feeling the bumps.

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #47  
Anybody have before and after experience with loaded tires?

Yeah, if you run low pressures like less than 10psig like I do fighting the "rough ride" they won't hold against the (new shiny) rims for traction...tire slips on the wheel and in high stress areas, like hitting a good sized bump) the weight of the fluid pulls just enough of the tire away from the rim to allow air in (tubeless) and your tire comes off the wheel.

So for that, I got rid of the fluid and adapted wheel weights and if not using my 3 pt for anything I made up a 200# blob of steel scraps with Cat 1 pins I add to my 2400. On the 6530, I carry around 13 psig and each has a 55 gallon barrel of antifreeze-water mix. Have had that since new and zero problems.

On the seat, I just bought replacements from TSC for the seat you pictured but these seats are made for the Ford type installation I have. The 6500 came with an air (compressor included) seat and it adjusts as you choose. The 2400 has an old MF bucket seat design, fully padded and lined, off ebay that is a low profile suspension seat with 4" of travel that is just right with the other changes I mentioned.

The turfs are 4 ply and the reasoning was to get more air volume and hopefully softer sidewall from the 6 ply industrials that came on the machine. Since the rim is 16.5 that puts it in the heavy duty category (no passenger tires on this wheel) so even at 4 ply, the turfs are still harsher than I had hoped; but better.

On traction, I still have the OEM industrials on the front and these match the gear ratio and traction is at least as good if not better than the OEM 12.5 x 16.5 industrials.

Attachments

• P1010197.JPG
    P1010197.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 59
   / How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #48  
My loaded R4s aired up to 15 psi ride not bad at road speeds.
Then I added chains to the mix, NO more road speeds. The ride would rattle your teeth out. No more high range at all. And NO I will not remove the chains.

Change the style of your chains use the euro studded type excellent ride and more traction;
Branson chains.jpg
With these I can run down a paved road and not tear up the road and be doing 15-17 mph