Flat Proofing "6 ply rating" and big holes

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #1  

freedomlives

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TS35F, Goldoni Special 140 with powered trailer -- Goldoni Special 128 -- Goldoni Uno for mowing -- Czech Vari system
The front tire (Golden Rabbit brand from China) on my tractor got a flat as I drove it through a field where I'd just mowed some brush. At the time, I only saw some thorns stuck in the tire, which I thought was the cause. Yesterday, the tire shop repaired the tube, and now rolling the tire back to the tractor, I noticed a huge hole that I guess wasn't visible when it was deflated. I have a feeling that such a hole is going to lead to a defect sooner or later, and probably sooner, and probably can't be repaired.

So I wonder, are there 7.00-16 tires that are tubeless? The wheel is solid, so I think it could work with tubeless tires? And holes in tubeless tires can be plugged just like car tires, right? Or is it possible to also plug holes in tube-tires?

The tire says "6 ply rated" and "nylon". Maybe there is a thicker, tougher tire than these?

golden_rabbit_puncture.jpg

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #2  
The tire in your photo appears to be an R1/agricultural tire. In the USA that would normally be a four-ply tire.

If money allows, I would replace tire so it does not catastrophically deflate at a critical instance.

If you must continue with it, a tire shop should be able to install a "boot" within, a tough piece of rubber/fabric cemented over the hole from the inside and bonded with heat so it stays in place. If the boot support area is decayed this is but a temporary repair. Boot is an expedient, not a cure.

I like good rubber on my vehicles, passenger vehicles, UTV and tractor. Tires are cheaper than the hospital. I replace tires "sooner" rather than "later". Equipment down time is a cost. I abhor equipment down time.

Tubeless tires are normally repaired with plugs.

After your long tractor search I know this tire problem must be disheartening.

Last edited:
   / "6 ply rating" and big holes #3  
If you keep mowing bush just put in a vucanized boot. It will get punctured again.

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #4  
Had a similar hole in the rear tire on my 5000. Put a boot in it. 15 years later, it's still good. Nuff said.

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes
The tire in your photo appears to be an R1/agricultural tire. In the USA that would normally be a four-ply tire.

If money allows, I would replace tire so it does not catastrophically deflate at a critical instance.

If you must continue with it, a tire shop should be able to install a "boot" within, a tough piece of rubber/fabric cemented over the hole from the inside and bonded with heat so it stays in place. If the boot support area is decayed this is but a temporary repair. Boot is an expedient, not a cure.

I like good rubber on my vehicles, passenger vehicles, UTV and tractor. Tires are cheaper than the hospital. I replace tires "sooner" rather than "later". Equipment down time is a cost. I abhor equipment down time.

Tubeless tires are normally repaired with plugs.

After your long tractor search I know this tire problem must be disheartening.

It was really surprising to me how quickly it deflated! Though, as far as catastrophic, there wasn't much risk there, going so slow. I then drove it in reverse with the FEL supporting the front weight, using the brakes to steer, given that the field I was in was 1/4 mile from the fields behind our house, and I didn't feel good leaving the tractor that far away.

I did have a frightening experience going to Croatia on our honeymoon in a VW Transporter when a rear tire blew out. If the van had been loaded down, it would have been really bad. We usually swap tires for summer/winter on the cars, so it helps with staying on top of tire wear.

Yes, it is an ag tire. It is actually new. I could tell as well, having it in the car, from that "new tire smell", but there was almost no wear on it. e.g. the importer in Poland put it on. It has nylon reinforcement/belting. Is this pretty standard in ag tires? I think the boot should stick pretty well, I'll just have to ask around who does that.

The rear tires are Korean (Hankook), and have a only little bit of wear on them. Also 6-ply.

I am inquiring about foaming for some of the two wheel tractor and implement tires for this reason. One of the mowers has just 2 plys, and long thorns punch through it, which last year was a big problem. The equipment down time is a nuisance, even if it is a tiny 3.00-4 tire on a hay belt rake. I haven't gotten to needed repairs on the Goldoni 128 transmission either yet, which means Wednesday using the rotary plow with center of gravity shifted by the reversers, such that I'll have an aching back again, but potatoes have to be planted.

But from what I've read, foaming can affect traction, and I don't either know that I want the permanent extra weight for the Iseki.

Because of not realizing till about December that I needed the FEL, and this 4 wheel tractor, I already have the mulching mower for one of the two wheel tractors, and next week I pick up the adapter to get it to fit the Goldoni (it was a good price new-old-stock condition from Czechia, but for the Nibbi brand). So I'm not going to be mowing brush with the Iseki, just have to be careful not to go places that were brushy until recently.

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #6  
   / "6 ply rating" and big holes #7  
...the tire shop repaired the tube, and now rolling the tire back to the tractor, I noticed a huge hole
The tire shop repaired the tire and never mentioned the hole? I can't answer your question about the tire ply but I do have some advice about the tire shop.

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #8  
I have 6 ply R-1 front tires with inner tubes. This arrangement works for me. R-1's are probably not the ideal tire for FEL work, but they do provide great traction.

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #9  
It was really surprising to me how quickly it deflated! Though, as far as catastrophic, there wasn't much risk there, going so slow. I then drove it in reverse with the FEL supporting the front weight, using the brakes to steer, given that the field I was in was 1/4 mile from the fields behind our house, and I didn't feel good leaving the tractor that far away.

I did have a frightening experience going to Croatia on our honeymoon in a VW Transporter when a rear tire blew out. If the van had been loaded down, it would have been really bad. We usually swap tires for summer/winter on the cars, so it helps with staying on top of tire wear.

Yes, it is an ag tire. It is actually new. I could tell as well, having it in the car, from that "new tire smell", but there was almost no wear on it. e.g. the importer in Poland put it on. It has nylon reinforcement/belting. Is this pretty standard in ag tires? I think the boot should stick pretty well, I'll just have to ask around who does that.

The rear tires are Korean (Hankook), and have a only little bit of wear on them. Also 6-ply.

I am inquiring about foaming for some of the two wheel tractor and implement tires for this reason. One of the mowers has just 2 plys, and long thorns punch through it, which last year was a big problem. The equipment down time is a nuisance, even if it is a tiny 3.00-4 tire on a hay belt rake. I haven't gotten to needed repairs on the Goldoni 128 transmission either yet, which means Wednesday using the rotary plow with center of gravity shifted by the reversers, such that I'll have an aching back again, but potatoes have to be planted.

But from what I've read, foaming can affect traction, and I don't either know that I want the permanent extra weight for the Iseki.

Because of not realizing till about December that I needed the FEL, and this 4 wheel tractor, I already have the mulching mower for one of the two wheel tractors, and next week I pick up the adapter to get it to fit the Goldoni (it was a good price new-old-stock condition from Czechia, but for the Nibbi brand). So I'm not going to be mowing brush with the Iseki, just have to be careful not to go places that were brushy until recently.

When I had my rear tires foam filled there were options regarding density of the foam... I said give me what everyone else gets...

It is been great the last 8 years being able to use the tractor without having to worry about the rear tires... the fronts are small and I just use Slime in the them and so far so good...

The thinking is with foam the tires lose their air cushion making bumps impact the front axle more...

/ "6 ply rating" and big holes #10  
I sure would have a boot put on. It works well on the underside of the tread. They do not works so well on sidewalls (although I have limped some along for years on a sidewall). I would keep using those tires as long as you can as it sounds like you will be driving over stumps, stems and thorns for a while.