Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000

/ Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000 #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
It's about time to replace the rear tires on my '69 Ford 3000. They are the original 14.9-24 R-1 "gum dipped" Firestone tires and are peeling apart like an onion around the lugs. A tube will likely pop through a hole sooner rather than later.
We put less than 100 hours per year on it (has less than 3000 total hours on it). 75-80% of that is running a 12' Befco Cyclone-Flex finish mower. The other 20-25% is brush hogging, pulling a 7' box blade or a utility trailer.
The current tires are not loaded. I have one hill that the heavy (2800 lb.) finish mower will sometimes slightly push the tractor down or cause it to spin going up.

Since the majority of the time, this tractor is used for mowing, I have considered turf tires, particularly the Titan Torc-Trac R-3: Product
https://bigiron.blob.core.windows.n...38e81180c000155d6f9fae/titantorc-tracr3-6.jpg
I do have a set of nice, heavy double-ring chains for this machine if needed for certain applications.

I'm wondering if I would be happy with the turfs, filled with Rim-Guard? I would think the new R-3's with a slightly wider contact patch would perform as well or better than the worn R-1's, unloaded that I have now?

I am concerned that it I go with filled R-1, I'll make a mess of some softer areas in the spring. But, I'm sure this combo would be great box-blading on an incline. If I go with R-1's, which one is recommended? There are a lot of different lug configurations - angle of lugs, number of lugs, etc.

Everything is a trade-off!

/ Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000 #2  
I'd compare good quality turfs to industrials when considering traction. I took 12x16.5 6 ply industrials (OEM supplied) off and put on 33x12.5x16.5 4 ply Turfs on my 2400. Traction is at least as good, maybe better. This was a Titan tire and had a good lug, half an inch thick, fair spacing between beads. Reason for the change was that I was looking for a softer sidewall in a tire with a larger air chamber which I wanted to run at low air pressure with added weight for a softer ride.

I run 13.6 x 28 F1s on my 3000 and yes they leave zippers in soft turf but I have 50 gallons of solution in each in addition to the 3500ish # weight of the tractor. Most Turfs I see usually have a wider footprint and not sure you can find one in size 28 to fit a 12" rim. Ford did run a 14.9x 24 available for that series that would support a turf tire (opinion) and I had a 4000 4 cyl with them running an F1.

Most F1s are made for tillage work and traction. That equates to ruts and rough riding on smooth surfaces. If you are only mowing grass I would get what you want if you can find it. If you expect to do any plowing, get a plow dedicated tractor or F1. and just live with the objections posted. I don't have my corral just to have it. Each tractor has it's role to play in my operation. One tractor can't do all things (opinion) especially when you work alone.

Last edited:
   / Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000 #3  
Be real hard for any of us to help you with this decision.

Research the rim issue first. Although you can probably buy the rims you need, just consider the cost when making the choice.

/ Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000
Be real hard for any of us to help you with this decision.

Research the rim issue first. Although you can probably buy the rims you need, just consider the cost when making the choice.

R1, R3 and R4 are available in the 14.9-24 size, which the size that our Ford 3000 is currently equipped with.

/ Selecting new rear tires for Ford 3000 #5  
R1, R3 and R4 are available in the 14.9-24 size, which the size that our Ford 3000 is currently equipped with.

Awesome!!!

With that clarified it's down to determining what task you most do and which tire will best perform that task. Regardless of choice there will be moments when you think you chose wrong. :)