Turf tires killing grass

/ Turf tires killing grass #1  

csquared63

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have a JD 790 with filled turf tires. If I drive over the same area more than a few times, the grass is killed. The only thing I can think of why this is happening is because the tractor is too heavy with the filled rear tires.

Would I be correct?

Thanks

/ Turf tires killing grass #2  
It depends on how soft the ground is, possibly. I had a neighbor who couldn't mow around trees with his SCUT because he would take the exact turning circumference around the tree and that started digging it up.

I had a 3720 with filled R4s and never had a problem, maybe because I don't take the exact same turns every time.

/ Turf tires killing grass #3  
Another consideration with a 4WD is due to the front lead damage will occur especially in turns.
The solution is to dis engage 4WD in all turns.

/ Turf tires killing grass
Thanks guys. This was mostly just straight driving. I did have it in 4WD and it occured to me that it might be an issue, but as I said it was mostly straight. I made several trips down a trail with a full loader. The ground was pretty dry. My neighbor drives all over his lawn, a lot more than I do, and I don't see the tracks.

Here are two shots showing the damage. In the first, I only traveled twice over the grass. In the second, I probably made 20 trips.

20180613_101822.jpg20180613_101858.jpg

/ Turf tires killing grass #5  
A bunch of trips over the same area is obviously going to kill it. Unless it’s super dry I don’t know why one trip is hurting anything. My tractor is heavier and my other tractor was a lot heavier and they never killed the grass. Take it out of 4wd unless it’s needed.

/ Turf tires killing grass #6  
I wonder if it might be due, in part, to the type of grass. Around here my "lawn" is field grass that has been mowed into submission for 36+ years. I can drive my M6040 with R1 tires(weighs 10,100 pounds) on the lawn - it will leave chevon marks - it wills skerf up the grass if I make a turn - it sure won't kill any of the grass.

I don't make a habit of driving out on the lawn with the tractor.

Now my riding lawn mower - JD G100 - has turf tires and, obviously, I drive it all over the lawn. Never killed any grass or tore up any lawn with it.

I think the answer is very obvious - like with my tractor - STAY OFF THE LAWN.

/ Turf tires killing grass #7  
Drive only on the neighbor's lawn. He'll never know. Drive after dark!:shocked:

/ Turf tires killing grass #8  
You said it. He drives ALL OVER His lawn. You drive in the same spot. I had a 770 and never saw where it had been cutting grass. Mind you, I never had a loader and come to think of it, the tires were not filled.

Make your roads wider and drive in varying positions.

/ Turf tires killing grass #9  
I have a JD 790 with filled turf tires. If I drive over the same area more than a few times, the grass is killed. The only thing I can think of why this is happening is because the tractor is too heavy with the filled rear tires.

Would I be correct?

Thanks
I don't think it is the weight of a 790 that is doing the damage. It might just be the type of grass/weeds that is a bit fragile. From your post photo, you have R4 tires not turf tires. If you are in 4 WD the front tires will be slightly spinning all the time. This could be the cause of the killing. I drive my 10000+(with FEL full of dirt) pound tractor several times over the yard hauling dirt and it doesn't kill my pasture grass lawn. I do try not to go more than a couple of trips in the same tracks though. It has R1 tires (loaded with water).

/ Turf tires killing grass #10  
By the looks well travel and mostly shaded might be problem.