Tire pressure (what psi) ??

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
To go along with my leaking stem, I have a question about tire pressure.

The front tires on Brutus are 12 ply (perhaps 16? but I think 12) "Impliment tire" their size is something like 12.5 x 16

I have looked on BOTH tires for rated pressure, and the only thing I've seen is something saying to the effect of

"use no more than 35 psi to SET THE BEAD"

Well... once the bead is set, what is the tire rated for?

I'd had in my mind something like 60 psi (since this can lift something like 3 tons)... yet it doesn't say that & I really don't want to blow myself up with a tire accident.

Any ideas?

I currently have them up to about 40 psi for my overnight leakdown test (loader keeping them off ground, so no machine weight is loaded on them).

??

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #2  
Richard,
I'm just guessing here, but I would say about 50.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #3  
"use no more than 35 psi to SET THE BEAD"

It should be something less than the 35# needed to set the bead.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #4  
I agree, it would probably be less then the 35 PSI max allowed to pop the bead into place. I would load the bucket with the heaviest load and look at the tires. If they are doing well, I would drop my pressure until they looked overloaded and bump the pressure a little from there unless your traveling long distances with the load. The result is better traction and less compaction. Check the Michelin site, it's loaded with information about tire pressure.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ??
lol that made me chuckle a bit...

I was carrying a rock that though large, was evidently within the load ability of the machine (else it woudn't have picked it up??). I've done this before and pancaked the tire (ostensibly with at/near 35 lbs psi).

I'll head off to Michelin & see what they might have to say

Thanks
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

whoo hoo

I just talked to our friends at Nebraska Tire (and I'm in Tennessee /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif my local shop closed)

Anyway, they said tire was rated for 56 psi max! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nebraska Tire

Not that anyone might need their website, but I thought I'd at least give credit where due.

given 56 max, I guess I'll put in 45/50 and see how it works.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #7  
Are you sure it didn't say "85 psi to set the bead"? Something wrong there.

Given your comment making me feel a bit unsure about what I saw, I do seem to recollect that it was 35 psi to set bead. (at work now, will look when home)

When I fixed the flat out "in the field", we tied a ratcheting strap around center of tire and used my compressor.

I'm not a tire expert, but I'd venture to guess that we did not have 85 psi in the tire during the (slow) process of setting the bead. I kinda thought it woudl "snap" onto the bead when in fact, I stopped several times thinking I was simply losing air out a leak, only to notice the tire was ever so slowly inching its way onto the rim.

None the less, I'll double check again, it's certainly within the real of possiblity that the egg is on MY face /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #9  
Norm, there's many things I haven't seen yet, so I suppose there could be something different in tires, but I'm like you; never heard of a tire that specified a maximum pressure for seating the bead without that pressure being more than what is recommended for normal use.

/ Tire pressure (what psi) ?? #10  
Usually, when I watch a good tire guy mount a tire, he will pump it up without a valve core to (who knows what?) pressure, til the bead pops, then as it is deflating, install the core and see how close he can come to the proper pressure.