first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"?

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #11  
Re: first flat tire, anyone use \"tire slime\"?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The instructions on the side of the bottle said 16-20 oz for a landscaping vehicle. Since my front tires are 18x10x8's I figured they fell into the landscaping tire size category, so I used the whole 16 oz bottle.
)</font>

That should do - I put a bottle each into each of my Sub tires, and commenced bulldozing 3-4 dozen Russian Olive trees (lots of hard wood thorns up to 2" long), and still no leaks after tearing them down over a month ago.

I'm still finding thorns to run over and pull out of the tires, but the slime is holding. I've pulled at least 4 dozen thorns out of the 4 tires since taking those things down, and figure I'll be pulling more in time - still have some of those darn trees in the yard.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"?

chucko, I bet the slime can't be used with filled tires because he slime is less dense than water. That would make the slime float keeping it from ever reaching hole as the hole passes along the bottom as the tire rotates. This is completely a guess on my part. I suppose you could fill the tire with slime, but that would be expensive.

bandit, the slime's worked great for me so far. I will probabale slime my other front tire also, but then I too have been thinking about filling my rear tires for extra weight. This website put that idea in my head. I'm going to test some of the slime by putting it in water and seeing what happens after a few days.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #13  

My dad used that slime in his ATV tires and when he had new ones put on, the guy that changed them said that stuff is a mess to clean up. But he had it in there for several years and it worked like a champ. I have several thorns in my front tires as well and was thinking about have them filled with foam to prevent anymore punctures, but really didn't want the weight as I used it to mow and it is pretty expensive. I'm going to pull the tire off and use a patch on the inside of the tire. We had to do this a lot with my dad's old Massey Fergusons tires.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #14  

You only want to fill the rear tires right Aardvark? I think most people only do the rears. You don't have slime in the rears right?
I think it's Henro who said he has foamed tires and is happy with it? I don't know what kind of weight that adds, but it solves two problems, weight and punctures. John

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"?

John, I was planning on filling the rears, but I'm going to hold off doing it for a while I guess. Maybe I'll fill the rears on my extra set of bar tires and try those. I bought an extra set of bar tires on ebay a few weeks ago because they were really cheap.

Also, in reply to my own thread. I just slimed the other front tire today, because I got a puncture in that one too. Shut the engine off, got off the tractor to begin loading rocks into the FEL to move them to the corner of the property, and I heard a real loud hissing sound. The other front tire had a nice hole in it which was easily viewable. Slimed the tire with a 16 oz bottle, replaced the valve, and spun it once with out filling iit. Filled the tire to 25 psi, spun it a second time, and there was a green got where the puncture had been. No leaking at all after that. finished moving the rocks and returned to backhoing the stump I had a problem with last weekend. First tire still shows no leaks after a week.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #16  

When you load the tires, install an inner tube first. That keeps the rim from rusting. It's cheap insurance, the tube casts ~$20, a new wheel will run you $200+.