first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"?

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #1  

aardvark

Gold Member
first flat tire, anyone use \"tire slime\"?

I knocked down an old delapidated mist house on my property and have been moving the debris out to the front for pick up. I've been careful to not drive over boards on the chance they have nails in them, but well, it looks like I found a nail anyway. The nail went through the bar, and I haven't had any sucess in plugging the hole since it's in the middle of the bar, and I can't get the plug tool through. The bar is pretty stiff. It's taken several days for the tire to go flat, I saw it was flat yesterday, and it noticed it was low on Tuesday, and I figure it must have gotten the nail Sunday. Anyway, I have this bottle of tire slime which I bought a few months ago for something else but never used. I'd like to try it and figure I have nothing to lose, but I was wondering if anyone had used it before, and if it was sucessful in sealing the leak. Thanks.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"?
Re: first flat tire, anyone use \"tire slime\"?

OK, well, I did a search. I guess I should have done that first. Looks like it works pretty well, but I'll know for sure Sat morning.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #3  

Jared Slime should work for you I used it successfully in my last tractor. I am using Multi-Seal in my present rig. No flats since I put it in the tires and I have a lot of thorn trees on my property. Still cutting the little buggers down.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #4  

Aardvark I've got in all 4 tires of the riding mower, both tires on the round baler and a couple tires on hay wagons. Put it in when tires developed slow leaks that needed attention every week or when sitting for long periods. All are up as I write. I've never used it in any vehicle that travels at any speed on roads partly because I haven't had one that leaked slow and partly because I'am not that trusting of the balancing factor. Very successful in all the rest especially the baler tires which I was quoted at over 400.00 bucks a tire to replace due to the fact that they are kind of weather checked and I figured that that was where the leakage was coming from.

Thanks for the info guys. I did put the slime in this morning, replaced the valve core, and aired up the tire. I then spun it around a little to distribute the slime. I applied some soapy water and watched intently to see bubbles, but nothing. It was like watching water boil waiting for the hole to bubble. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #6  

Barbed wire and cedar roofing shingles with the nails still attached. That's just in the front yard of this place we bought. Many other little treasure around that I've managed to find. Got tired of plugging the tires and unwinding the the fishing spools that otherwise pass for a mower deck the way they wind up fenceing. I followed everyones suggestion here and got a gallon jug of it from TSC. I'm impressed. Either I've managed to miss any remaining pointy things, or that Slime really works!

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #7  

aardvark, I hope you made sure to put in the required amount. If you use too little, it may not hold for long. I know it called for a full bottle for just a little lawnmower tire, so a tractor tire may require a few of them.
I've used it in my lawn tractor, but so far have only needed plugs on the Kioti. John

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #8  

John's right I have over a gallon and a half of liquid sealer in each rear tire and a half gallon in each front tire. You need to follow the recommended dosage for the product that you use.

The instructions on the side of the bottle said 16-20 oz for a landscaping vehicle. Since my front tires are 18x10x8's I figured they fell into the landscaping tire size category, so I used the whole 16 oz bottle.

/ first flat tire, anyone use "tire slime"? #10  

I have slimed one of my tires but now but now find myself wanting to fill them to add weaight and the slime web pages says not to fill tires with slime and it does not work with filled tires.

So if I fill them now will the old hole start leaking and what and I do to help stop filled tires form leaking?