Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #1  

Todd_C

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 40A
I got a set of rear ladder chains from tirechain.com for my TC 30 with R4 tires. It took a few hours to properly adjust the chains. During the course of the day, I tightened the chains several times. My main concern is the lack of clearance between the rear fender and the tires. The chains just clear the fenders and the 3pt hitch. I had to cut off several links off the inside of the tire to keep the extra chain from hitting the fender. I have the chains as tight as possible against the tires. I did not get the chain tensioners with the tire chains. Should I consider the $45 chain tensioner or not? Does anyone else use tire chains on a TC 30 with R4 tires? I don't want to damage a fender so if anyone has had a bad experience with chains let me know.

The tire chains do help with traction. I can now operate the tractor in 2wd over terrain that used to require the tractor to be operating in fwd.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #2  
Chain tensioners make all the difference in keeping your tire chains tight.

The spring-loaded type seems to work well for my tractor. The chains stay tight against the tires (R-4's) and there has not been a problem with the chains contacting items that are not chain resistant.

I recommend that you pick up a set of those spring loaded tensioners for your tractor. Think of it as chain-damage insurance.

Lou Braun

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #3  
what you might want to try is a few Bungee cords, alot cheaper. and might do the trick

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what you might want to try is a few Bungee cords, alot cheaper. and might do the trick )</font>

I use an inner tube and a chain link for chain tighteners.
I can make a lot of tighteners out of an old discarded auto tube and some old junk chain.
Hasn't cost me a cent.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #5  
I reckoned I would have a tight squeeze between fender and R-4 tires (Deere 4300) and I couldn't find the chains I wanted to take a chance with, so I made a set. I made the set with longer side chain and shorter cross chain, such that the side chains would rid in the 'depression' at the ends of the flat tire lugs of the R-4's. Riding in this depression gives me the clearance I wanted and I am satisfied with their performance.
I tried to find a place to buy chains where I could buy the length and the width that I wanted, rather than buy just for a tire size. For my tire size, the chains were too far down on the side walls to give 'comfortable' clearance.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #6  
Todd, I can't comment on the clearance....but can comment on the tensioners. I have a set of front chains and have the spring tensioners. To do it all over, I believe I would just get some of the rubber tie down straps or heavy bunge cords that are short enough to give the right tension....rather than buying the springs. I think they would work better and are cheaper.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #7  
Todd C

When I install my front and rear tire chains, I jack the tractor up, let the air out of the tires, install the chains snuggly and then reinflate the tires. No chain tightners necessary. Any loose chain I plastic tie back to the chains. Works great!

OrangeGuy

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #8  
I haven't had good luck with tying back extra links with plastic, but have with heavy wire or locking carabiners. Seems the ice chunks in the snow banks and/or sticks and brush rip the plastic ties off quickly. But imagine it all depends on the amount of tough plowing conditions one runs into. On the inside of the tire, I usually cut off any extra links, figuring I will never need them, unless I change tires.

I noticed in the tirechains.com site that carabiners were recommended for repairing a side chain, but only when putting the end link through the 'side' of the other end link, and then the carabiner to hold it that way. Not sure why, but apparently it is stronger. ?? That might be another way of holding the extra links of the side chains too.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #9  
I couldn't find the chains I wanted to take a chance with, so I made a set.
==================
I have maid 3 sets of chains out of old ordinary car chains for my Bolins tractor.
Am on the 3rd set now.
3 sets of free chains in 38 years ain't bad.

/ Got tire chains for x-mas, now I have questions #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe I would just get some of the rubber tie down straps or heavy bunge cords that are short enough to give the right tension....rather than buying the springs. I think they would work better and are cheaper. )</font>
````````````````````
Try the tire tube and chain links first - then if that don't pan out you can always try tie down straps or heavy bunge cords.

Been usin the tire tube and chain links for 38 years has worked great and hain't cost me a cent.