Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

ThisldooFarm

Tractor
B7800
Help. Upstate NY, 2 feet of snow. B7800, filled R4 tires, weight box. Alsmost slid off hill today. I think I need chains. Front as well? What type? Where to get them?
Thanks

/ Tire Chains #3  
Tirechaines.com is great. I put double ring chains on the back and ice chaines on the front of my L2250DT and they work great here in northern Maine. My shipping charges were reasonable, less than $25.00 for the full set and I had them 3 days after I ordered them.
Have Fun!
Dave

/ Tire Chains #4  
I also had good results with tirechains.com. I have chains on all 4 wheels of my cub cadet 7265 and you just can't stop it - snow, mud whatever.

/ Tire Chains #5  
I also recommend Tirechains.com. I got a set for x-mas and love them. I only have rear chains and they worked well in the recent sleet/snow storm. There is another post on here about using front chains instead of rear chains. Just search and you should find the thread.

/ Tire Chains #6  
I ordered from Tirechains this fall as well, I have turfs so I went for the 2 link chains for the rear, very pleased execpt I need to space out my rims, which I am working on. I have an old set of car tire chains up front which seem to work well for me.
Best of luck

/ Tire Chains #7  
My neighbor is a full time mechanic at a local tractor shop and warned against chains of the front of my JD as the axles were not strong enough in his opinion. I put them on the back only and it's like driving a tank now. Steering with brakes works perfectly and I'm not worried about over-stressing anything.
good luck!

Attachments

• 571052-tirechains.JPEG
    571052-tirechains.JPEG
    29.3 KB · Views: 267
   / Tire Chains
Thank you all so much. I am on it now. I will let you know. It was not fun sliding down a hill sideways.

/ Tire Chains #9  
Another member posted about drilling and installing sheet metal screws in the lugs- I think it may have been last year that he first tried it. Chains certainly help on ice but the sheet metal screws would probably act like studs in winter car tires.
They are out with a similar option for snowmobile tracks now, in place of track studs.

/ Tire Chains #10  
Or you could go with Valby ice chains like mine. Ice is a fact of winter life on our 22% grade, and those big ice spikes make navigation possible. In fact, we had an ice storm last month so bad the tractor was the only thing able to handle it. The truck and Subaru with studded snows were worthless, the ATV could only slide with all four tires spinning helplessly, and I even had to crawl from the house to the garage!

But Clementine dug right in and did fine. We used the tractor to feed and water the sheep and chickens that day, as well as to bring in a load of firewood.

But if you don't have ice, these chains murder pavement!

Pete