Anyone have an R1 tire pop off?

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #1  

txhawg

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Here's the deal. I am really leaning towards Ag tires on a JD 4310 with FEL for the increased grab ability. I know they tear up grass, but I won't be driving on grass. My dealer says that they will pop off when using a loader because they are thinner than the industrial R4's. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is it really necessary to get industrial tires when using a loader?

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #2  
Ag tires are fine for the loader, just need to keep them up to maximum pressure when using the loader. I have never popped a tire off as a result of the loader. I think the R4's handle the load better then R1's, at least the stock ones do, but the R1's have far better traction and consequently wear much faster.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #3  
All the main brands put r-1's with enough ply rating / load rating to handle their loaders when fully inflated.

Our ag tractor doesn't like moving 1 yard buckets of gravel on flat r-1 tires, they squirm and roll when turning. I don't do it often buy need the pressure low almost all the rest of the time.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #4  
It depends on the ply rating of the R-1 tires Deere is using. 4plys won't cut it. 6ply would be my minimum, and 8 would be better. Not that a properly inflated tire of any ply will "pop off", overloaded tires will just fail sooner under load. The load capacity of ANY tire is based on construction AND inflation pressure.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #5  
I prefer the R1 tires myself, and as has been said, they just need to be inflated properly when using the front end loader. On my B2710, I ran 16 psi in the front tires when mowing, tilling, etc. and when I intended to lift heavy loads with the FEL, I upped them to 24 psi and never had a problem at that pressure. However, on one occasion, when I had the forks on the bucket and lifted a full 55 gallon barrel of diesel on a pallet out of the back of my pickup to set it back in the shop, I got lazy and decided not to add air to the front tires just for that one quick little job, and when I made a very sharp turn with that much load, I rolled one front tire off the rim. Of course, it wasn't a serious problem since I was near the shop door and air hose; just used the FEL to raise the front tires off the ground and aired both of them up to the proper pressure.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #6  
Your dealer must have the R-4s and he must not want to change them. As long as you have the proper amount of air in the tires, you shouldn't have any problems with the R-1s.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #7  
Just a thought to keep in your back pocket...

If you did get the R1 tires and you did end up having problems, all would not be lost.

You could always get them foam filled later if such service is available near you. Punctures would be a non issue then as well... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Would probably cost a bit over $100 per front tire though... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #8  
He's right. If you have any slack in your front R1 and you turn with a loaded bucket, there is a really good chance of the tire popping off.

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off?
Would this be any different with the industrial R4's? I would think that any tire that is underinflated could come off the rim when turning very sharp under load. What if I were to get the wider R1's?

/ Anyone have an R1 tire pop off? #10  
That I can't say. My experience is only limited to turf and bar-type tires. I have had the bar tires come off on a couple of occasions. If you jacked up the wheel, so that the weight were off it, you could easilly re-inflate with a compressor. The turf tires seemed to squat considerably when I had a loaded bucket, but I never had one come off like the bar tires did.