Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
The debate and indecision about traction tires vs. turf-friendly tires will go on until the heat death of the universe unless a new solution is invented.

How about this. You get ags. But then there is a rubberized tread that you can put on over the ag tires themselves. Like chains, but a nice snug fit that completely covers the ag tread. I dont exactly know how the attachment would work. The underside of this "overtread" would have a female indentation pattern that would exactly fit over the ag tread design. This would keep the overtread from slipping during tire use. The topside of the overtread would have a turf design.

You would leave on the overtread as your normal tread and take it off when you needed traction. An additional benefit would be that when you wore down the turf tread, you could just buy a new overtread instead of a whole new tire. The underlying ag tire would essentially never wear out because you would only be using it infrequently.

Feel free to tread all over this thought.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #2  
Sounds great, but what if you wear the ags down and the turf top starts to slip? Just a thought. But if you can take up the play and they would stay on, it sounds like you need a patent lawyer now! When you get the prototype done I will test a set for you at no charge!

18-30445-von.gif

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #3  
I will do all the free testing that you want. Sounds like a good idea to me.

bubba

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #4  
Glennmac,

Isn't that just about what they do with bob cats to make tracks? Seems I've seen a few of them running around with what look like R4's with a track snapped over them.

The whole idea sounds good though, but I would suggest the base tire be a non-usable (otherwise worthless) propriatary tread. This allows the overtreads to be used ONLY with the manufacturer's specially shaped tire (thereby increasing the probability of getting a major manufacturer to accept your idea). Then, all different tread patterns could be purchased and applied to your base tire.

SHF

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention
SHF, I dont know much about Bobcats so I cant comment. Your post made me think of something else. If the front and rear wheels of tractors were the same size, as I argue in my "Compact Tractors are Designed All Wrong" thread, then we could install machine tracks ("bogie" tracks) on our tires. Those are the things that wrap around both tires so you have like a tank or bulldozer tread. You can see them in the Labonville catalog.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #6  
Glennmac, on a 4 wheel- drive machine, changing the diameter of one set of tires dictates doing an EQIUVALENT change to the other set. I assume those tracks (bogies?) would also mess-up the lead/lag on a 4 wheel drive machine. On a skid loader the wheels are the same diameter.

RCH

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #7  
Seems like you could use the bogie tracks on a vehicle with larger rear tires and smaller front tires, you would just have to increase the rotation speed of the front wheels to match that of the rear wheels. I though 4x4's usually had a different front/rear rotation speed anyway, but probably not enough to use tracks. The real problem with tracks would be-- turning. A tight turn might spin the track right off.

SHF

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention
On my hypothetical tractor the wheels would be all the same size so the 4wd circumference ratios should not be an issue. Of course, with the bogey tracks you probably only need to be in 2wd to drive the tracks. How do you turn? Obviously you cant turn the front wheels. Is this the place for the lost art of brake steering?

Keep in mind that I know less about bogey tracks than I do about subatomic physics.

/ Tire Overtreads--A Needed Invention #10  
Hi ya
Ya maybe be on to some thing there i don't know how ya would put them on tho, may have to deflate ya tires then slip them on .only other thing is have a smaller lawn then ya don't need turf tires:) or plan B have a small mower for the lawn and a bigger toy for dirt working
on another note about the tracks one of the tractors that went to the ice (MF TEA????) it was on tracks has a idler 1/2 way along the frame and still had wheels on the front (i think) i'll have to look it up ,it was a kiwi dude Ed Hillary a few years after he climbed the hill in the 50's-60's that had it made there was 4(?) made. 1 is still down there ,1 in kiwi land and i think 1 at MF in the UK i have no idea what happend to the other one tho.
catch ya
JD Kid