SuperFlex Tire Ballast

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
It's been a while since we talked about foam filling for ballast. There is a new process from Arnco called SuperFlex, which supposedly retains the ride characteristics of air. Here is a site that describes it briefly:

http://www.tocebrothers.com/flatproof.asp

I need some ballast in front of my 2910 so I can brush hog without my loader. The tractor is too light in front without ballast. My cutter weighs about 700 lbs., the Freedom Hitches add about 125, and the Freedom Hitches also push the implement (and hence the center of gravity) about 6" further back from the tractor.

The tire company says that SuperFlex will add about 75 lbs. per tire for my 23x8.50x14 front tires, for $105 per tire. This would also, of course, give permanent protection against flats. I think I can get a better price at another place, but I would probably be willing to pay $210 for this, unless there is something bad about this process that I'm not being told.

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this gelfoam process?

I also asked about my 12.4x16 rear tires. Would add 270 lbs. per tire at a cost of $295 per tire. That's a lot of weight but also a lot of money. I currently have my rears filled with calcium chloride up to the top of the rim, but I really don't know how much weight this has added. Does anyone have data on this?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by glennmac on 07/31/01 04:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
Here is the Arnco site:

http://www.arnconet.com/products/flatindex.html

I'm sorry, I'm not sure my first post has the right weight for each front tire. I first posted 125 lbs. and then I edited it to 75 lbs. per tire. Now, I've confused myself and will post the correct number when I get home tonight, where I have my notes from yesterday. The weight number for the rears is correct because I called about that from work today.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #3  
I'm glad that you got an answer to the weight question. I have gotten nothing in writing. The local Arnco dealer said that it weighs the same as water and it weighs the same as calcium chloride. Both statements can't be true.

You might be able to do better on the price. My front tires are slightly larger than your (25-8.50x14) and I was quoted $150 each by the Arnco dealer. I had my local tractor service garage get a quote from the very same Arnco dealer and they were quoted $96 each. They charge extra for removing any sealant or calcium chloride. I have neither.

I've had three flats since April, all in the same tire. $200 for flat proofing and the extra ballast is looking pretty reasonable. Since I have turf tires, I think I would go with the low deflection fill and live with the rougher (like I couild tell/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) ride. I've already pinched a front tube with the rim trying to micro locate a heavy object with the FEL.

I'm aware of only one real downside to this process. Once filled the tire and rim are essentially one piece. To change a tire will require cutting the old one off the rim. Replacing a bent rim will require an new tire. The counter to that is that the tire will last as long as the carcass, which is probably longer than I'll care about.

Matthew

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
The 75 lbs. per front tire is what I was quoted.

Another thing: the Kubota manual says not to put ballast in the front tires. I dont know what the issue would be, although I could surmise it has either to do with steering or 4wd. Yet, several people on these boards I think have loaded front tires, and the Deere dealers I talked to didnt think it would be a problem.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #5  
Glenn,

My loader manual spells out the weight added to each tire (rears at least) for different Calcium solutions. It looks like you can mix more or less calcium per gal of water to get more/less weight and more/less freeze protection.

They describe three different solutions which add 187lb, 196lb, and 207lb per tire for a 12.4-16 tire (size of our R4 rears) filled 75% (just over the rim). I've always just used 200lbs per tire as a rough number when figuring the weight of my tractor and implements.

Assuming the numbers in the Kubota manual are correct, which given my experience so far is not a bad bet, but also NOT a sure thing, then the superflex is noticably heavier than calcium.

Does the web site give wieghts for different sized tires? I've gotten the sense in the few discussions I've had with folks in the trade that numbers like "weight added for an xyz tire" that get flashed around are more educated guesses that actual calculated or measured numbers, so I'd take them with a grain of salt (or should I call it calcium in this context). If the guy conveying a number looked it up in a book or chart, I'd trust it a lot more than if it was produced from memory.

If getting more/less weight than your current fill solution is the prime reason for considering the superflex, you might want to check the weights carefully.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
Peter, I am only seriously considering the foam for my front tires to give me front weight so I can brushhog without my fel and also to give flat protection. I dont think I'd spring for an additional 70 lbs per tire for $295.

The site doesnt give weights per tire. The guy on the phone was looking something up. I am going to personally visit the tire place next week and ask to look at the data and the material. Will update here.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #7  
Do you think front loaded tires is enough weight to make a difference? The loader is around 800-900lbs.

I like the flat protection part - I continue to have troubles on that front.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by hayden on 08/02/01 08:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #8  
Glenn,
This is the weight I use when I run my 5ft. rotory cutter on my B2710. Seems to work just fine, only adds about 150lbs.

18-30445-von.gif

Attachments

• 5-61162-weights.jpg
    5-61162-weights.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 226
   / SuperFlex Tire Ballast
Well, I really want to cut grass (but not brush) with the loader off, and I dont think I need too much weight. The only other alternative is to add weights. (I was thinking of having two hooks welded on my brush guard, into which I could put my old barbell with weights. But I dont like the hassle of putting heavy things on and removing them.) I sort of interested in doing the foam just as an experiment. I've had one flat way out in the field and it was a hassle and a time waster. I also sort of like the idea of just making my tractor permanently more heavy sans loader.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #10  
Hooks on the front guard is an interesting idea, but I agree it would be nice to permanently attach whatever weights you are going to use. Let us know how you make out. I've been considering more front weight even with the loader to improve traction in the snow.