R4 Tire Choices

/ R4 Tire Choices #1  

buckle97

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST
I have always had R1 tires and now I am looking at R4 tires for my new tractor purchase. My dealer has many of the tractor model I am interested in on his lot. Some of them have Firestone R4's and some have Titan R4's. The tread pattern is definately different between the two. I am just wondering if anyone has noticed this and if anyone has had a good or bad experience with either type.

Firestone:
radial_all_tract_utility.jpg

Titan:
ci1034.jpg

I don't think these are the EXACT tire I am looking at, but these pictures show the difference in tread pattern that I see. The Firestone has the hook on the tread in the middle of the tire. The Titan is just straight at the end.

Lawrence

/ R4 Tire Choices #2  
I'm not a tire expert, but I have owned several machines with R4's and I would say that you will never be able to tell the difference in actual operation. The differences are just to subtle. I have bought both Titans and Firestone and Titans are usually a little cheaper around here. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one.

/ R4 Tire Choices #3  
I have the Titan's on mine. I have never seen the Firestone's until you showed this picture.

Just by looking at the pictures of the two, I would say the Firestone would grip better, and wouldn't have the "sideway" slide on hills. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would be willing to try the Firestone. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedDog

/ R4 Tire Choices #4  
I have the titans on mine and i like them. Don't think you would notice any difference in using either, the design is not that much different.

/ R4 Tire Choices #5  
I've had both more than once. I currently have Titans. I think the Firestone R4's look "cooler", but I can't tell any performance difference. They are both a very tough tires.

Ok, quick note: my equipment destroying neighbor tells me that the Titans wear better. I suppose I could see that with more actual rubber making contact with the ground. Whatever. I just thought I'd add this since he certainly has worn out about everything known to mankind. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ R4 Tire Choices #6  
<font color="blue"> Ok, quick note: my equipment destroying neighbor tells me that the Titans wear better. </font>
The Titans seem to have a little bit harder rubber compound. Not very much, but some.

/ R4 Tire Choices #7  
Another quick obsrevation, MOST OF US CUT OWNERS WILL NEVER WEAR OUT A SET OF TIRES! More than likely the tires will need replacing to do old age, cracking and such.

/ R4 Tire Choices #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> MOST OF US CUT OWNERS WILL NEVER WEAR OUT A SET OF TIRES </font> )</font>

I am glad you said most.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ R4 Tire Choices #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MOST OF US CUT OWNERS WILL NEVER WEAR OUT A SET OF TIRES! )</font>

The Titan R4s on the front of my B7800 are showing obvious wear after only 250 hours.

/ R4 Tire Choices
From the comments made here I have made my decision. I agree that the Firestone's look "cooler", but I have decided to go with the Titan's. Hopefully they work as well for me as everyone who posted here /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Lawrence