Tire Pressures

/ Tire Pressures #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
I recently purchased a new Farmtrac 270DTC equipped with the R4 style tires. The rears are 12.5/80x18 and the tire has "48psi max" marked on the sidewall. The fronts are 8.5x12 and they are 50 psi max. I was wondering what is the lowest pressure that you can safely run in these tires? I just use it to mow with a RFM and am looking for a smoother more compliant ride. They currently have 38 psi all around and they are rock hard, every little bump on the road is felt.
Thanks for your help,

John

/ Tire Pressures #2  
About 1/2 max, or 24-25psi should be about right.

/ Tire Pressures #3  
The operator's manual should contain the manufacturer's recommended tire pressures along with other important safety information. I would recommend reading it thoroughly to familiarize yourself with the tire pressure information and other information related to your new tractor purchase.

That said... 38 psi does seem awfully high for a rear ag tire. However, my experience is mostly with larger farm ag tires. An old rule of thumb was... with one of the tire lugs/bar centered on the ground, the outside edge of the lug should be a pencil height off the ground (approximately a 1/4").

OrangeGuy

/ Tire Pressures
Thanks for the info fella's. I'll try that. You would not believe how anemic the owners manual is for these Farmtrac's. The only mention of tire pressure refers you to tire mfg's reccomendations and the only info on the tire is the max pressure rating. It only took about 15 minutes to read the manual front to back so I have that covered. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks again,

John