A question about tire weight or tire loading

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #1  

James74

Tractor
Kubota 5030 HST
We have 60 acres of land with the majority of it being fairly steep hills. We will be using a FEL on a Kubota L5030 as well as a 7 foot blade. We will also be dragging tree tops out of the woods. My question is what is the best way to go regarding weighting tires? One dealer really leans toward wheel weights, the other leans toward anti-freeze in the wheel. What are the pros and cons to each method, what has worked and not worked for you in the past? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #2  
This is a real preference kind of thing.
I like weights the best. The reasons are:
1) can be removed by you at home
2) makes handling the tire assembly easier if you have a flat.
3) don't have to worry about the fluid spilling if you have a flat ($)
4) it doesn't ever need to be replaced like flat spilled fluid ($)
5) don't have to pay to have added or removed at tire changes or flats
6) some weights can be transfered from one tractor to another
such as these

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #3  
Interesting post. Glad I saw this as I am about to purchase an L3400 and was going to get the tires filled but now that I look at it weights may be a better option. What do weights usually cost? Ballpark figure.

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #4  
It has been about 5 years since I look at prices. Back then, all of them that I looked at were between $600 and $1100. That is the reason that I made mine .
I have about $350 in them. I was between welders and had to have someone else make the wheel attachment. The 50 lb weights were bought at Wal-Mart.

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #5  
Since I planned on never removing the weight, I had my rear tires filled. I was looking for Rim Guard (non-toxic, non-corrosive, made from juice of sugar beets), but no one had it in my area at the time. My dealer now carries it... in part due to my inquiries on the subject. Never had a flat in about 400 hours of use on my R4 tires... in woods, buckthorn, sharp rocks, etc. Yes, if I do I'll have some extra expense, but I've had no reason to regret the decision so far.

John Mc

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #6  
John_Mc
I agree with you and I would suggest rimgard as well. I could be wrong but I do not believe you cannot get any where near the weight with most wheel weights as you can by filling them.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #7  
John MC

How much did the RIm Guard cost? Did you do both the front and backs?

Tx,

Bob

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #8  
I filled with windshield washer fluid. Cost about 110 bucks if you figure in the fluid adapter. Added about 740 lbs.

Critters wont get killed if I spring a leak, and I will be out 45.00.

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
How much did the RIm Guard cost? Did you do both the front and backs?)</font>

It's been a few years since I looked at it, and it was not available in my area when I was filling, so I didn't end up with it. Best bet for current pricing is to contact some Ag tire guys in your area to see who carries it, or contact the Rim Guard folks directly.

John Mc

/ A question about tire weight or tire loading #10  
Around here, dealers sell methanol for about $4 per gallon for loading tires. My Kubota L3400 needs 2 gallons in each tire. Supposed to keep them from freezing and is probably more enviormentally friendly than ethylene glycol and much cheaper than windshield washer fluid (washer fluid is nothing more than methanol and water which costs a dollar per gallon)