Tire repair

/ Tire repair #1  

HGM

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM2000
Hey guys,
I've got a question since my bushhogging the neighbors briar patch....

I went out to the shop today and have a flat L/F tire. Its a typical 2wd paper thin tire. I cant see any holes though I removed a couple of small(I would say) briar spurs. To be honest I havent even added air yet to find the leak.

But my question is, do you guys just fix em as you go or have you used the slime to continuously fix it?

I remember a friend of mine always had truck tires on the front for that reason, that might be an option, but it'll look funny on my little Yanmar.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyhow, as always I appreciate your input.

Greg

/ Tire repair #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But my question is, do you guys just fix em as you go or have you used the slime to continuously fix it? )</font>

I fix tires as needed. I never use slime.
For smaller holes I have good luck using a plug.
In my opinion the problem with slime is if you have a larger hole that the slime will not seal, the tires would be difficult to repair or patch with slime in them.

/ Tire repair #3  
<font color="blue">the tires would be difficult to repair or patch with slime in them. </font>
Why would you say this? Remove the tire, clean the Slime off with water and patch it.

/ Tire repair #4  
The following is one man's opinion.
Tire repair is by nature a disagreeable chore.
Repairing tires that some well-meaning person has impregnated with some miracle cure mixture of snake oil and snot makes it just that much worse.
Buy a higher ply rated tire, or foam fill tires to avoid flats.
Using slime-type sealants is a crapshoot at best. The upside is that it is cheap, and most folks will pay someone else to swear at it when it doesn't work.

/ Tire repair #5  
Mike, I think what RickB is referring to is the fact that some of the products like Slime are water soluable and will wash out while others are not. And even if it is water soluable, washing it out makes an extra step; i.e., more work, for whoever fixes it. Having been in the tire business a bit, I can tell you that tire men hate to see one with any of that stuff in it, although some are worse than others. However, I've used some in lawnmower and tractor tires myself, knowing that if it ever had to be broken down and fixed, I'd be doing it myself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Tire repair
I have used fix a flat before and have seen the horror.. I've been in the auto biz for many years and wouldnt use it on a car for the same reasons listed. Plus balance issues.

I have added the slime to a 4wheeler as the lazy way out but have never had to do a real fix. My thinking was that it wasnt as bad as the early stuff. Do you guys know if it is as nasty?

I am curious about the foam suggestion. Can you provide a little more detail?

Thanks again..

/ Tire repair #7  
I agree.. the issue with slime.. is that if it is a hole that needs a plug.. ya gotta dismount the tire to clean and fix it.. vs just plugging it.

Course.. if it is a tube type tire.. gotta dismount it anyway.

Most tire stores in our city have a sign that explains that they won't work on slimed tires.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Tire repair #8  
Now I understand.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Tire repair #9  
Remove the wheel, take it to a service station, go drink a soda pop while they fix it, or drop it off, pay the $10, and get on with your life.

/ Tire repair #10  
I’m one of the ones that use slime in the front tires only. With the rose bushes I have, that front tire would look like a knobby tire if I didn’t. I don’t seem to have a problem with the back tires.