Plugging a Tire

/ Plugging a Tire #1  

Briarwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a Kubota B2710 with a little over 500 hours on a set of R4 tires. This spring, I was driving around a small field of CRP and ran over a deer antler shed that punctured my right rear tire. I removed the antlers and noticed the pucture was not leaking air, apparently since I filled the back tires with sealant I bought from TSC about 5 years ago. I have put off doing anything about it because it has not leaked until now. I noticed that the sealant has been seeping out the puncture now that the weather has turned colder. Can I simply plug the tire from the outside with it on the tractor or do I need to have the dealer remove the tire and fix it from the inside? Will the sealant in the tires cause a problem? I have very little knowledge of mechanics and have not faced this before. I would appreciate your suggestions.
Briarwood

/ Plugging a Tire #2  
I would try more of the fix-a-flat stuff. It may last five more years.
That's what I do with my riding lawnmower.

/ Plugging a Tire #3  
I agree. You may get off cheap. Or you could also try a plug although I don't know if the sealant that is already in there would affect the plugs ability to stick. If you do try a plug start by turning the wheel until the hole is near the top. Then block the axle and let the air out of the tire. Use a small drill or file to clean the hole and then try the plug. I would think that as long as the hole is no bigger than 1/8 to 1/4 inch and clean a plug should work. If it doesn't the you're only out a couple of bucks.

/ Plugging a Tire #4  
Do as toolguy suggested. I did that when I punched a hole in a tire that was filled with fluid. Luckily I was near the barn so I quickly drove to the barn and took weight off the tire then I rotated it so the leak was at the top. After letting the air bleed off slowly I cleaned the hole and then plugged it. That was this spring and it has held up for the last 100+ hours.

/ Plugging a Tire #5  
I'd go the plug route, too. Without liquid ballast in there you've got nothing to lose but air and the cost of a plug. A drop in the bucket compared to the cost of profesional tire work, as I found out.

/ Plugging a Tire #6  
I haven't had much luck plugging tires. The wood starts to rot before to long. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Maybe green treated would be better. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Plugging a Tire #7  
i would try and plug it but if that doesnt work then patch it from the inside, its realy not too bad of a job to break down a tubeless tire, especialy a small one like your tractor has. there not loaded so they are not real heavy, spend the money and get a set of tire irons and a bead breaker hammer, or the loader bucket or better yet a backhoe bucket will help pop it off with less effort. then its just a matter or lubing up the bead with soap and then working it off, helps to have two people alot of times. tubeless tires are alot nicer since you dont have to yank the tube out or worry about pinching it when ya put it back together. i just mounted up 4 tires for my road grader tonight, well actualy mounted 24.5 inch truck tires on the 24 inch rims, truck tires are alot stiffer than tractor tires, so it took some work but still nothing the average person cant handle, it can be tricky to get the beads to seat but its doable. one thing that helps is a tool called a bead cheatah, basicly a tank with a big valve and nozzle to give it a blast of air, i made one from an old propane tank, it works pretty good. more than likely for the cost of having the dealer come out and fix it you could buy yourself a set of tire irons and still have beer money left over

/ Plugging a Tire #8  
The front tire on my backhe started to leak air on me awhile ago. I added a gallon of slime to it and it stopped leaking. Then a few months ago, it started leaking around an older plug. I tried to replug it, but the hole was too big. I took it to my local commercial tire shop. They specialize in large truck and tractor tires. They said the slime already in the tire made it impossible to patch it. No way to clean it off good enough to glue a patch in. They put a tube in, which is still there today.

Eddie

/ Plugging a Tire #9  
I'd try a Safety Seal brand plug. They vulcanize to the rubber making it like part of the tire. I've had great success with them over 25 years of use. We have plugged many tires over the years at work. Patches are a hassle and usually don't work as well due to improper preparation.

/ Plugging a Tire #10  

I've had good luck plugging tires (even plugged a Z rated Goodrich on my Porsche C4 years ago), but no luck at all in avoiding the problems that lead to the need.

I've patched the (unloaded) front tires on my BX-2200 twice or 3 times now,briars, a screw, you name it. No deer antler so far--Bambi's revenge? Patched the 16.9x28 rear (unloaded--using wheel wgts) tire in the non-tread part of my TN90F tire. All have held, but I have also heard Slime keeps many repairs from working. Let us know what results you get,

J