Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
I have a set of truck tire chains that fit nicely around the rear tire of my JD4100 however with ag tires the crossbars fall in between and end up with no effect at all. I also have several other auto chains that I can take apart and use the cross links but what would be the best connection links to use to do this? Or can I just open up the links that currently attach the cross links to the "side chain" (what is that part called)-----any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Dan

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #2  
That's all I have on my tractor. They do work if you bring the crosschains out atop the tread, and get them tight enough. Just like when chaining up my pickup I drive about 20 feet after putting them on then retighten.
On a friend's 175 Massey I once took a lightweight chain and tackwelded it into the center of each crosschain; this did a really good job of keeping them where they are needed.

A nice set of ice chains would be nice, but I don't feel like shelling out the money when what I have is serviceable.

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #3  
I used truck chains on my ag tires for years, and they didn't all fall between the lugs and worked quite nicely.

I'd like to see a picture of your truck chains with "all" the cross chains in between the lugs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Doesn't take but a few 'exposed' to give you the traction needed. Leaving the side chains a tad loose will also allow the chains to move about and fall out of the lug valley just before they come in contact with the ground as they go under the tire.

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #4  
Try using the squeeze type repair links to tie your cross links to one another in the places where they tend to fall into the spaces between the lugs.

I've used a set I made on my Cadet for years on top of the turf tires. They work great.

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #5  
I went the other way. I cut down a set of car chains for my Troy Bilt tiller some 25 years ago or so. Still working fine.

/ Tire chain ques. anybody made some from auto chain #6  
Chains made out of car tire chains are all I've ever run on my 1966 Bolens Tractor . been doing it for 40 years on that tractor.
Never take them off the tractor.