low cost source for tire chains?

/ low cost source for tire chains? #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I just looked up tire chains for the jd 4100 on tirechains.com. It looks like it will cost $200 to get a set of two-link ladders for the front and a set of four-links for the rear, shipped. Is this about what you guys have been paying or is there a cheaper way to go??? Thanks.

/ low cost source for tire chains? #2  
Jim,
Like some wrote "you pay for what you get".
The last thing I would want to break a chain during snow removeal or no grip on ice,knowning a couple of dollars more I would have been all set...Like the old Fram tv ad "pay me know or pay me later.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ low cost source for tire chains? #3  
I think that's a good price. I paid $170 for rear chains only for my B2910 at BB Chain.

/ low cost source for tire chains? #4  
Sounds like a good price to me. I bought from there and it cost me about $160 for a set of rear duo grips. $200 for all the way around seems pretty reasonable.

/ low cost source for tire chains? #5  
Jim,

I used the same company for the chains on my 4100. Except I got the Duo-grips for my rear R4's. Chains, binders, and shipping and handling came out to be $285 and some change. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I looked at a supplier in my area and he was charging about $140 per chain for the Duo-grip!! Yes sir, per chain. It was going to cost $280 just for the rear tires. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Terry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 12/16/01 08:03 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ low cost source for tire chains? #6  
All, My TC35d has the 4x4 option and the clearance between the front tire and the drive/steering frame is very tight, maybe 1". Do the chains wrap that far around the front tire to interfere with the tractor frame?
BTW I've got r4's, but I don't know if that makes that much of a diff.

thanks
gary

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gmason on 12/17/01 12:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ low cost source for tire chains?
Speaking of clearance, I was just told that the jd 4100 with turf tires cannot have chains. J.D. says there isnt enuf clearance for chains between the tire and fender. It doesn't look that close to me. Is there anyone doing this (chains on turfs)?

/ low cost source for tire chains? #8  
gmason, I think one inch would be cutting it kind of close. When the chains go on you may get a bulge or twist in the links which would cause rubbing. Why they would design tire/fenders with such a tight clearance is beyond me. Sounds like an engineer who doesn't use the product!

/ low cost source for tire chains? #9  
gerard, well it's not a fender, but a part of the steering/FWD assembly. I'll post a picture later to show this. I was just wondering if anyone with the TC family of NH's had put front chains on. Seems like with a loader fronts would be much better than rear chains...
And 2wd, I guess, front chains wouldn't get you much...

gary

/ low cost source for tire chains?
TSC, $75 for 4-link spacing rear sets. Made for truck tires, nice low profile. 1/4" crosslinks sit about an inch high on the tire tread. Came too long, cut them to length, work great on my 4100 with turfs. Peerless (Winona Minnesota) "Superior" truck tire chains, # 0323510, fits a whole list of truck tire sizes starting with 35x12.5-15LT... type DH.