Slow Leak in Tire

/ Slow Leak in Tire #1  

WVBill

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sold my Kubota B6100 when I moved to WA
I have a slow leak (goes flat in about a week) in the front tire of my Kubota B6100 (6-12 size - R1 - Not loaded).

I did the "soapy water test" and found that the leak is at the bead/rim, It leaks probably about half the way around. The tire is only a couple of years old and it's in great condition otherwise.

I have no tire tools.

Is there any way to repair this myself? How?

Thanks

WVBill

/ Slow Leak in Tire #2  
Put a tube in it. For a 12" tire you should be able to make some tire tools our of 1/4 X 1" flat stock.

/ Slow Leak in Tire #3  
Don't you have a crowbar? You could use the straight end of it. Let the air out and pound on the curved end with a big hammer with the straight end against the tire at the edge of the rim. Go round. It'll probably break loose eventually. Just do this on the side that's leaking.

Some big footed guys can stomp them off from against the rim. Have even seem them stomp them back onto the rim once removed, too.

Run your hand around the bead after you get it loose from the rim and clear out any rubber strings, etc. that might be there. Then squirt some ArmorAll onto the bead or soapy water on bead and maybe the inside of the rim and reinflate with the valve core removed. Let air back out and put valve core back in once you get the bead to seat. Might have to bounce the tire on the pavement or just push on the tread here and there to get it to seat. If it really won't seat, you could wind a tension strap around it and chinch it down. Put air to the valve but quit when it seats immediately! Remove strap and put core in and inflate.

One of mine came off the rim. I inflated it and slimed it. Slimed the other front one, too. No problem since.

I recently had a brand new Michelin leak at the rim on one of our cars. Had wife take it back to the dealer and had them do the seating bit on it. Sometimes, they just plain don't seat well or get a string of rubber off the bead between rim and bead. Had it happen when I did tire repair with my father in his service station.

Ralph

/ Slow Leak in Tire #4  
"Slime" it. BobG in VA

/ Slow Leak in Tire #5  
You can do as posted above; if you get the bead broken down, then clean bead area on rim and make sure tire is clean also. reinflate tire to about 50 lbs. and check for leak; if not leaking deflate to proper pressure. If you can not get bead broken down; take it to a tire shop and they will break it down and properly seat the tire. Last resort is a tube. you cannot plug the tire in remote areas with a tube. I always have a plug tool and plugs on tractor for this repair if needed. You can also get the tires foam filled and never have a flat again.

/ Slow Leak in Tire #6  
if the tire is set flat on the ground, you could used a plank 2x6 or something and make a "ramp" with it so the edge of the plank hits the rim edge,. then drive a car or truck put the ramp till the bead breaks.
then clean the rim and use some sort of rim sealer.

But I agree. Id put in a tube.

/ Slow Leak in Tire #7  
i had the same problem with the left front of my b2400 took it off and brought it to the tire shop, seems i just lost the bead. they did the job amd only cost $16 well worth it.

/ Slow Leak in Tire #8  
BobG_in_VA said:
"Slime" it. BobG in VA
I had a slow leak on one front also. It was leaking at the bead,I SLIMED it and the others and have had no more problems.

Mike

/ Slow Leak in Tire #10  
Sometimes you can take a hammer and with air in the tire go around right above the edge of the rim hitting the rubber sidewall of tire. Be careful hitting an aired up tire with a hammer due to the bounce back, but sometimes they will seal off this way, saves having to take tire off.