Seating Small Tire On Rim

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
My new PT425 arrived and one of the tires on the snow plow attachment was flat. I could not inflate it, because it was not seated on the rim. PTRich suggested that I use a ratcheting tie down strap to squeeze the tire against the rim and then inflate it. It worked great. See pics.

This first one shows the tire not seated on the rim

Attachments

• 48-97561-tire01.jpg
    48-97561-tire01.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 490
   / Seating Small Tire On Rim
This one shows the ratcheting tie down strap around the tire and tightened.

Attachments

• 48-97563-tire02.jpg
    48-97563-tire02.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 332
   / Seating Small Tire On Rim
This last one shows the tire inflated and holding air. Thanks PTRich for the help!

Attachments

• 48-97566-tire03.jpg
    48-97566-tire03.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 394
   / Seating Small Tire On Rim #4  
My experience has been that the least little grain of sand results in slow leaks on small tubeless tires. I have a JD 325 that is basically "inflate before use" until I get tubes placed in all the tires. Like the rachet strap idea though.

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #5  
I'm with Andy. Put a tube in it.

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #6  
MossRoad,

Great idea. I have also used a rope with a long boad as a tourniquet to do the same thing. I have found that the rims do need to be pretty clean or nothing will work or they will leak. You can also buy a "bead expander" form the autoparts store witch is just a adjustable innertube in a nylon cover.

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #7  
well i have been told that if you take either and pour a little into the tire and then toss a match from a safe distance that it too will set the bead. but i never have tryed i use the rope trick.

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #9  
That trick can cause the wheel (tire) to ricochet wildly off the walls and the ceiling of the shop too. Not a good practice. You may be mistaken for a wall, as this is an unguided system.

/ Seating Small Tire On Rim #10  
Picked up 3 persons who tried that trick in the last 5 or 6 years. None of them ever want to try it again, all will walk with a limp for the rest of their lives, and one almost had to have an artificial leg. Not worth it.