under trailer spare tire mount

/ under trailer spare tire mount #1  

RollTideRam

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 4710 Cab
A while back, somewhere on the web, I saw where someone had mounted their trailer spare, under the trailer. They had used the parts from a full size truck to crank the spare up under the bed of the trailer. I can't find it now and wonder if anyone here had seen it.
I bought a new trailer and want to move the spare off the tongue so I can mount a receiver for my receiver mount winch. JC

/ under trailer spare tire mount #2  
Can't say I saw what your talking about but it should be fairly easy to do. I can think of 2 easy way's to do it. First, just make a box out of angle iron to mount under the trailer and install a door on it so you can lock it up. Second, go to the local auto salvage yard and crawl under a couple of p/u trucks and find a suitable spare tire lowering winch assembly. Make up a mounting bracket to mount it to your trailer and your ready to go. Neither should be very hard to make.

/ under trailer spare tire mount #3  
I would think that putting the spare tire under a trailer would possibly put it to close to the ground and make getting it very difficult if you have a flat.
Leo

/ under trailer spare tire mount
Thanks for the other idea DieselPower. EM14, have you ever noticed where spare tires are mounted on trucks? Use your jack hand and lower the tire via a winch cable. JC

/ under trailer spare tire mount #5  
I understand that, but for some unknown reason I was thinking that your trailer was not an over the top/tire and may not have had much ground clearance.
Leo

/ under trailer spare tire mount #6  
My little 4X8 utility trailer has a spare mounted under the "A" frame part, I pulled it off my Airstream, it is a very simple design made from 1" square tubing that is hinged from two pieces of angle iron with a "U" that holds it up.
I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
If anybody knows how low to the ground an Airstream is the they would not ever worry about this mounting design.

/ under trailer spare tire mount #7  
Redbug has his mounted under the trailer,("My new equipment trailer" post), but his is a tilt bed trailer. Yours may be different.

Attachments

• Trailer tire bracket 12-9-06 001.jpg
    Trailer tire bracket 12-9-06 001.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2,817
   / under trailer spare tire mount #8  
Here are the picts of what my 4X8 has under it.
It came off my Airstream that was a factory install and it fit in the same spot.
It is a simple design and easy to use.

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    DSC00287.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 7,618
  • DSC00288.JPG
    DSC00288.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,810
  • DSC00289.JPG
    DSC00289.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,676
  • DSC00290.JPG
    DSC00290.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,327
  • DSC00291.JPG
    DSC00291.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,188
  • DSC00292.JPG
    DSC00292.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,745
   / under trailer spare tire mount #9  
What size trailer is it? Weld up a frame, line with expanded metal, mount between trailer frame. Cut hole in top of trailer to allow access to storage area, insert tire. Cover hole with material of your choice, flat plate, expanded metal, plywood, etc.

/ under trailer spare tire mount
The idea of mounting in the tongue sounded good, but then I noticed my drop leg jack is in the middle of the tongue.
It is a wood deck trailer, 83" X 22'. I got fold down ramps on the back, so I could see the trailer behind me when it's empty. Maybe when it gets a little drier outside, I can crawl under and figure this out. Thanks for all the suggestions. JC