Flat tire

/ Flat tire #1  

JerryG

Tractor
MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle
I have had flats on the front tires out in the field more than once. From reading here several others have too. Well, here a while back I was about a mile from the house on the farm and had a flat. Everyone knows the old story of you can walk back home and get the air tank to air it up or just take it off and roll it all the way to where you can get to the truck. It occurred to me that there had to be an easier way. I raised up the front with the loader, pushed down the wheel on the opposite side of the flat, then put a 2” x 4” about 4” long between the axle stop and the frame. Then let the tractor down. By putting the small block there, you hold up the flat tire off of the ground so, that you can slowly drive home.

/ Flat tire #2  
Neat trick. It pays to be ingeneous at the right moment. Your fix reminded me of some old, flashing thoughts of putting together an emergency air hose (that I probably will never get done and if I do, will not have it with me at the right time). But the hose would have one end that I could screw on to a valve stem of a tire with air in it, and the other end with a valve (on/off) and an air valve chuck. The idea being, if caught with a flat tire from a slow leak, one could rob some air from other tires (balance of pressure) to get enough to get the vehicle off the road, out of the field, or to wherever an air supply or repair shop might be. On the auto, one could get some air from each tire, and even the spare if the air hose was made long enough. Now, if in a parking lot, surely no one would borrow air from someone elses tires - that wouldn't be fair.

/ Flat tire #3  
Jerry you sound like you are a candidate for Superflex, the permanent leak preventer.

Nuru

/ Flat tire
Nuru,
I haven't tried that one. I have tried two or three others. Some works good, some don't.
Of the ones that I have used, Slime seems to work the best.
I do need to find a good place to keep my 2x4./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif